The Fall

Posted by: Tim Jones on 27 January 2001

Just to say how stunning the latest Fall release ('The Unutterable') is.

When Mark E went off the rails and sacked the band a couple of years ago most fans felt pretty sick about it - and the subsequent album (which sucked ass) didn't help.

But the new band (plus return of Nagle) have turned out to be pretty nifty programmers.

Needless to say, like most Fall albums, 'Unutterable' is the sonic equivalent of a bag of spanners, but the songs are vicious and articulate.

Watch out for the Oprah Winfrey bit on 'Two Librans'....

PS Anyone got the latest Red Snapper? Any good?

Tim J

Posted on: 27 January 2001 by glenda
Is probably the greatest record ever !! I post this because I love The Fall and hate all these muso posts about jazz and classical music . As the bard Morrissey said - "they say nothing to me about my life".Am I now banned from the forum? On a more positive note buy the Webb Brothers new album plus It's Jo and Danny - Lank Haired Girl to Bearded Boy.Just buy it!! Cheers.
Tony.
Posted on: 29 January 2001 by Tony L
quote:
Is probably the greatest record ever !! I post this because I love The Fall and hate all these muso posts about jazz and classical music .

It is possible to like jazz and The Fall. I have far more jazz albums than Fall albums, and I have a lot of Fall albums!

Tony.

Posted on: 29 January 2001 by John C
I'm with Tony L on this one, The Unutterable was one of my records of the year last year and I buy 90% jazz records. My favourite Fall song is Wireless Enthusiast, or is it Pay your Rates or maybe Hip Priest or How I Wrote Elastic man or....

John

H

Posted on: 29 January 2001 by Kevin Hughes
quote:
Seriously - can anyone suggest a good intro into this Fall stuff... sounds interesting. I sometimes do a bit of Sonic Youth, Aphex Twin, Autrechre, etc... ...any comparison?

The Fall are nothing like the groups you mention, but don't let that put you off. Check the bands track record at allmusic.com.

I recommend The Fall In: Palace of Swords Reversed as the place to start, fab compilation of great early stuff.

Kevin.

Posted on: 29 January 2001 by Steve Catterall
There's quite a nice recent compilation called 'Psykick Dancehall' - a 3CD set at single CD prices, which collects together the best of the Early (70's & early 80s) stuff. There are some live versions of songs which they couldn't get permission to use the original ... but there's quite a few singles on there which I don't think are available elsewhere on CD. Also it has 'Totally Wired' on it, which IS the best Fall song !!!
Posted on: 29 January 2001 by Kevin Hughes
quote:
There's quite a nice recent compilation called 'Psykick Dancehall'...

I took this back as it did not contain the definitive versions of the songs I wanted. The sound quality is appalling even for a Fall record as well. For Fall collectors only in my book.

Kevin.

Posted on: 31 January 2001 by Tim Jones
As a general rule I'd suggest much of the early Fall material (pre-1983...ish) is less accessible than more modern albums.

'Totales Turns' or 'Dragnet' can be hard work even for diehards.

Many of the compilations around at the moment look a bit random. I suspect that Mark has made a bit of a legal booboo somewhere and is being quietly ripped off on these.

However, there was a compilation of really good early stuff called 'Hex Enduction Hour'. Not sure if its still around though. Some of the recordings are live - but they are actually better than the studio recordings (eg 'Who makes the Nazis', 'Pseud Mag Ed')

A good studio album to start with might be 'This nation's saving grace' which is pretty acccessible, while remaining exceptionally nasty and angular.

Or try to see them live. Some of the best gigs I've ever been to - but variable depending on Mark and the band's mood. At one of the last gigs with the old band (end of 97) they did some funked-up versions of old stuff - including 'Hip Priest' and 'Lie Dream.

Bombast!

Tim J