canada vs usa

Posted by: davidf on 07 October 2000

does anyone know if there are differences between canada`s eletric voltage and the usa`s. I just ordered an 82 from canada and I live in the usa.There won`t be any problems using this 82 I hope! Thanks in advance-david.
Posted on: 07 October 2000 by Bob Edwards
David--

Since the grids are connected together (knowledge from my father in law--former utility prez) you will be fine.

Cheers,

Bob

Posted on: 07 October 2000 by Martin Payne
The 82 is powered from the power amp or *cap, and thus is independent of the mains voltage!

This assumes, of course, that you already own one or both of the above & they work OK with your local voltage.

Martin Payne

P.S. just because the two grids are connected doesn't necessarily mean that the voltages aren't changed via transformers at the border. These would be really big, so I bet they'd hum very loudly indeed!

Posted on: 07 October 2000 by Arthur Bye
DavidF:

As I understand it NANA will not honor the warranty for any products you buy in Canada. If you have a warranty problem you either will have to ship it to the Canadian distributor or pay NANA to do the repair.

Seems to me that NANA (Naim Audio North America) is somewhat of a mis-represnetation. Should be called NAUS. Or is Canada no longer in North America?

Arthur Bye

Posted on: 07 October 2000 by davidf
Mr T, I have a supercap- I am trading up from a 102- tell me how much improvement can I look forward to (I can`t wait!) david.
Posted on: 07 October 2000 by Chris West
Arthur Bye comments:

quote:
Seems to me that NANA (Naim Audio North America) is somewhat of a mis-represnetation. Should be called NAUS. Or is Canada no longer in North America?

Back in early '86, when NANA was set up and incorporated in Chicago Illinois, there had not
been a successor appointed to the original Canadian Linn/Naim distributor, and it was expected that NANA would probably become the
distributor for the entire North American continent. However, a suitable distributor was
found within Canadian territory, and NANA was left
to focus on the USA (these are pretty big countries after all!). Fortunately, over the years
we have not seen too much confusion over our moniker, which is an established business name.
Occasionally we get a literature request from
Canada which we refer to the Canadian distributor (Dimexs) so that a prospective purchaser can obtain the most current dealer information etc. in their locale. You are right Arthur, in that NANA's
warranty is applicable to products we distribute,
which to date has been solely within the USA.

Regards,

Chris West
Naim Audio North America, Inc. (aka NaimUSA

Posted on: 07 October 2000 by Don Braid
quote:
does anyone know if there are differences between canada`s eletric voltage and the usa`s. I just ordered an 82 from canada and I live in the usa.There won`t be any problems using this 82 I hope! Thanks in advance-david.

This morning I clambered out of from my igloo, harnessed the huskies, and started a wood fire in order to power up my computer, whose screen is carved from an ancient block of ice.
What do I see? Yet another American question that makes me shake my head in disblief.
That's it for now. It's gonna be a long snowy day, and there are beavers waiting to be trapped.

Don

[This message was edited by Don Braid on SATURDAY 07 October 2000 at 21:48.]

Oh, I forgot. On the new forum, we're not supposed to have any fun.

Don

Posted on: 07 October 2000 by davidf
Appreciate the support Stuart. Hey Don, lighten up- you know us egocentric americans. Tell me, How do y`all heat them igloos? ehhhh? david.
We use space heaters - 110V. In Edmonton, they really need them.

Don

Noses? Only in Edmonton. In Calgary, we've discovered other parts to rub.

Don

quote:
I have a supercap- I am trading up from a 102- tell me how much improvement can I look forward to (I can`t wait!) david.

Hi David. Now that we've got ugly nationalism out of the way, thankfully without actual mobilization at the border, let's talk about your wonderful new pre-amp
By the way, did you buy it on e-Bay from London Audio in London Ont? If so, you can count on professionalism and a unit in good order.
I've had a fair bit of Naim pre-amp experience, having moved from Nait to 72 to 72/Hcap to 102/Hcap to 102/Scap to 82/Scap and now 52.
One of the most exaperating jumps I ever made was from 102/Scap to 82/Scap. Yet it also turned out to be one of the most satisfying.
The problem was break-in. In my system, the 82 needed fully five weeks of regular playing before it came into its own. It always sounded rich and detailed, but only after the full break-in did it sound really musical. After that, if you have to power it down, you can expect to wait four for five days for the music to blossom again.
After the painful breakin, though, the 82 was outstanding. I can tell you, too, that it will be very synergistic with your current system, because the 82/Scap is a natural match for your CDX. I don't think enough is made on the forum of the fact that certain Naim products, at roughly the same price point, work sublimely together. CDX/82/Scap/250 is one of those natural groupings.
Enjoy,
Don

quote:
In Calgary it's egos i believe

Actually, it's money.

Don

Posted on: 08 October 2000 by Joe Petrik
Don,

I moved from Canada to the U.S. about two months ago. You're right that Americans know little about Canada but the people I've met have gone out of their way to welcome me to the States. Bakeries have given me free bread (twice!), and a market vendor gave me free vegetables, just to name a couple of examples that spring to mind. You can't fault Americans on their generousity or friendliness.

But I've also had quite a few bizarre questions about the Great White North, like...

1) "Do y'alls have high taxes like us Americans?"
2) "How come y'alls' guvment don't let y'alls have guns?"
3) Why do y'alls say 'eh' so much"?

Joe

P.S. I'm convinced that most differences between Canadians and American stem from what we expect. Americans expect life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Canadians expect peace, order and good government. We also think that beers with less than 5% alcohol are for the elderly, infirm and children, eh.

Posted on: 08 October 2000 by Rico
quote:

Errr, and don't forget, Mexico is North America, also.

And re 'Beavers to be trapped/caught'; Don, happy hunting!

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 08 October 2000 by Don Braid
Joe said:

quote:
I moved from Canada to the U.S. about two months ago. You're right that Americans know little about Canada but the people I've met have gone out of their way to welcome me to the States.

Just to be clear that we're only kidding here . . .
I used to be a PhD student at the Univerfsity of Virginia. It was one of the finest experriences of my life. Americans were, and are, among the friendliest people on earth when you meet them in their own place. When they travel it can be different . . . but we won't go into that.
In general, I think Canadians know more about the U.S. than Americans know about us. Who's surprised? Canadians, though, generally know less than they think they do. And I've met Americans, usually diplomats or academics, who know far more about Canada than I do.
Y'all should ponder that, ehhh?

Don