Racked with guilt....

Posted by: Mark Packer on 18 September 2000

I *know* we did this to death on the 'old' forum, but I'd appreciate some input from the collective mindset. (BTW can someone explain how to submit a decent looking ASCII picci? I've tried spaces and tabs but it all looks conpletely squwiff on the forum)

Equipment as shown below:

{ TT }
sssssssssssssss (seismic sink)
| Tuner |
| Cassette Deck |
|---------------|
(to 82) |[HiCap] [HiCap]|
|---------------|
(to 3.5)|[HiCap] [ 140 ]| [NAPSC]

------ = standard Target shelf
______ = 6 mm float glass shelf

The stand is a bog-standard Target table. The TT is on a standard Target wall shelf. I have a dedicated spur, separate earthing etc.

I suspect that moving the boxes around might yield some benefits. Space is limited, funds non-existent.

Does anyone know the range of the deleterious field from a HiCap?

Does standing a HiCap on it's side affect the performance?

All suggestions gratefully received?

regards,

Mar[CODE] [/CODE

[This message was edited by Mark Packer on MONDAY 18 September 2000 at 14:39.[IMG]null[/IMG

[This message was edited by Mark Packer on MONDAY 18 September 2000 at 14:40.]

Posted on: 18 September 2000 by Tony L
quote:
I suspect that moving the boxes around might yield some benefits. Space is limited, funds non-existent.

The largest transformers you have are in the Hicaps, I would therefore get them the furthest away from the preamp as you can - i.e. move them down a shelf, and the 140 / NAPSC up.

The effect of my Hicap or 135s being in remotely close proximity to my 32.5 is massive, though having three large transformers on one five tier stand means I can only separate them by one clear shelf - I would prefer more. I have my gear stacked on my shiny new Mana rack as follows:

CD17KI
Hicap

All the transformers are stacked above each other - i.e. the Hicap is on the right side of the shelf. The preamp is on the left of the top shelf, to get it as far as possible away from the Hicap. Can anyone arrange my rack better?

Tony.

Posted on: 18 September 2000 by Greg Beatty
...does...

quote:

[ CD3.5 ]
[ NAC 82 ]

...mean that the CD3.5 is sitting on top of the 82???

E Gads!!! If so, you may get a huge improvement by getting it on its own shelf - even if it is a cheepie DIY shelf. Same for the tuner and tape deck.

- GregB
Freedom is not in finding the Holy Grail but in stopping the search for it

Posted on: 18 September 2000 by Bob Edwards
Mark--

Try getting rid of the Seismic Sunk--they kill the tune. Try either a Base 01 or a Mana sound frame--use to taste !

Cheers,

Bob