Speakers

Posted by: woodface on 13 September 2000

I could really do with some guidance regarding possible speaker purchase. My current system is LP12/Ittock/Circus/Lingo/0C9, CDi/82/Hi/250 & Linn keilidhs.
The keilidhs do not really suit my room, this was not so obvious until I upgraded to hi/250 from flat/90. They have to be placed either side of a chimney breast and the bass is just too much at times. It can become a bit boomy. I was thinking SBL's, Kef Ref. 3's etc or maybe even going for a stand mount (AE 1's?). This could facilitate a second hi-cap. Finally, what about ATC's? Good speakers but are they too insensitive (80db)?
Posted on: 14 September 2000 by woodface
i am vey much drawn to atc's for some reason; they just seem total quality. the sensitivity is a worry though, nap250's are powerful but atc recommend 150 watts minimum. ultimately i will let my ears decide; looks are a consideration though as the other half generally likes a say.
Posted on: 14 September 2000 by Phil Sparks
I ran a pair of Neat Petite IIs on the end of a 32.5/snaps/160 and they did groove. A couple of caveats - they had a ribbon tweeter which sounds quite different to a normal dome (almost like there's less mid but the treble carries on much higher). Stands are crucial - they sounded miles better on the slate audio ones than typical iron frame types - but the slate stands cost me £450! They really reward experimentation with location - a few inches either way makes quite a difference. I got mine because I moved house and coulnd't get my kans to work in the new lounge (no useable flat wall), I had the Neats in the bay window about 18" in front of the curtains. I'd guess you could put them either side of the chimney but a bit away from both the back wall and chimney itself.

Having said all this I really miss them, they combined a beautifully open presentation with real insight into the passion and groove of the music. The impression I got was that like all great speakers they were very revealing and therefore would just get better and better as you improved the source and amps.

I still own them and the stands, but when our 1 year old started using the slate stands for mountaineering practice I packed them up, and bolted the old kans to the wall. I hated these at first but now I've upgraded to 82/2xHi/250 they're starting to sound pretty good again, I've resisted the temptation to unpack the Neats to see how good they'd now sound. If you were interested I could be persuaded to sell them and the stands (great condition, boxed, etc.). Drop me an email if you are.
Phil

Posted on: 14 September 2000 by woodface
James, thanks for your input here and I think you have summed up the problems I am having more eloquently than I did. Basically the 250 seems to produce more low frequency energy and obviously greater control. In short they are showing the true characteristics of my speakers perhaps? I do have proper stands (target AER 5's, these are very solid and not a flat pack design!)although they are not in the Mana class! Mana is a no no as the wife hasd sanctioned a speaker purchase on a looks basis! I obviously want better sound; my room has wooden floors that are damped with rugs and soft furnishings. I have recently moved house but my previous music room was smaller but generally similar. Has anyone used ATC's with naim eqipment?