Speaker Upgrade?

Posted by: Steve Shochet on 05 October 2000

Hello everyone,
I have been thinking of upgrading my speakers. My system is CDX, 82/HC, 180 and Meadowlark Kestrel speakers. I have enjoyed the speakers, but feel I have outgrown them a bit. I would like to spend about $3000, and plan on checking out the Meadowlark Shearwaters first (big brothers to the kestrels, and the only speakers in that range that my Naim dealer sells.) Any other suggestions? I am looking for better base control (my room dynamics, even after trying lots of tweaks, still resonate in the low-mid range.) I am not sure new speakers will really solve the problem, but I guess its worth a try. By the way my stuff is on Sound Org racks with MDF vukwiches (2 under the CDX, 1 under the rest.) I have read many of the Mana postings in the forum, but I don't think they are available in the San Francisco area. I would love to demo them but I don't plan to be in the UK anytime soon

Any way, I would love a short list of recommended speakers in that range (My speakers are in the middle of a large weird room, so the Naim speakers which need to be near a wall are out), and any thoughts on base resonance.

Thank you,
Steve

Posted on: 06 October 2000 by Nic Peeling
Might I suggest that forum members asking for advice on speakers specify their musical tastes and also what volume level is most important to them. My observation is that many speakers have a "sweet spot" at a particular volume level. My own speakers (made by a Danish company BKS) are outstanding at moderate levels but deteriorate badly at higher volume levels, whereas my second system that also uses Danish spaekers (this time by Dali) sound best at a medium/high levels.

My view is that speakers are an incredibly personal choice and there is no substitute for going round dealers listening to loads of speakers, and then try for a home demo of the top one or two on your list.

I would encourage you to listen to both conventional box speakers such as Dynaudio, Proac and Sonus Faber; but to also try and hear some more unconventional speakers, such a Martin Logan or speakers with electrostatic ribbon tweeters (you sound as if you have a big enough room for them to work in) ... these have very different strengths and weaknesses from the conventional boxes and you may fall in love with the sound.

You could also try and search out some classic old speakers - I have heard a NAT01, 52 250 feeding a pair of Tannor 12inch concentric golds and the sound was magnificent on both classical and rock (although a bit coloured).

Nic P

[This message was edited by Nic Peeling on FRIDAY 06 October 2000 at 13:07.]

Posted on: 06 October 2000 by Pete, Mad Bad and Dangerous to Know
Hi,

You must listen to some Shahinians they are cracking speakers, I have a pair of Arcs that just melt into the background and just produce music not HiFi.

pete

http://www.shahinianacoustics.com/

Posted on: 06 October 2000 by Phil Barry
Improvement in bass control (and lots of even better things) may result from adding and XPS or replacing the hicap with a supercap, though even with the hicap trade, that may blow your budget.

In addition to the questions Nic asks, i would want to know about what speakers you've listened to, what you thought of them, and any room/decorating/etc. constarints.

I was mightily impressed with teh Hales Rev series, but I've gotten lots of mileage from source first upgrading.

Posted on: 07 October 2000 by Steve Shochet
Nic and Phil,
To answer your questions:
I generally listen to Jazz, vocals, acoustic rock, and soul/funk. So I guess I'm looking for pretty well-rounded speakers that give the details of piano notes, the timing and rhythm of the snair, and the deep lows of funk rhythms. I tend to listen medium to loud levels, although with all the reflections I have to deal with, I have been listening to softer levels, where I can hear more detail. I havn't listened to much yet--I have heard Thiel and proac, but it is so hard to evaluate speakers that are on completely different systems and in different rooms.

The room is a problem. It isabout 20 feet deep, but has a fireplace in the left corner that cuts at a 45 degree angle, and is surrounded with marble tiles. Because of the fire place, the speakers are far away from the back wall (about half-way to the other side). The left side wall is glass sliding doors, which I cover with drapes when I am listening. The right side in front of the speakers is a bar, which looks through to the kitchen. (I am able to drape a blanket over the bar, which cuts the wall reflections.) Behind the right speaker to the right is open space leading to a smaller "dining area." The floors are hardwood with an area carpet between the speakers and the sofa. I tried other arangements (speakers in front of the glass door), but there was a terrible resonance at the low-vocal range.
The base has been the biggest problem now, I think because of the speakers being far from the wall. It both lacks slam, but also sounds loud/mushy at the same time, I think because of room resonance. I have tried putting pillows in the corners, which seems to help a bit. Moving the speakers closer to the back wall increases the base slam, but it resonates so much that it feels like dark mud-sound. I don't know if other speakers will help. XPS and supercap are a bit beyond me at this point.
I know its a lot to ask advice about this stuff, and I realize I will have to spend the time to try different things. But any tidpits of advice would be gladly welcome.

Thanks!

Tried to do an askee drawing, but it came out all wrong once posted

[This message was edited by Steve Shochet on SATURDAY 07 October 2000 at 22:02.]

Posted on: 07 October 2000 by Bas V
Hi Steve!

If it were my money, I would buy a pair of Monitor Audio Studio 20's. I think the Studio line sounds really, really great with Naim electronics! I use the Studio 2's and they have everything I wish, except the bass the 20's deliver. Give them a try!

Gr. Bas

Posted on: 10 October 2000 by Todd A
In that range, I'd second the Monitor Studio 20s, and also suggest the ProAc Response 1.5s and the Joseph Audio RM22si's ($2300) or even the RM25si's ($3300). No doubt these do some hi-fi things well, but the two specific things they do well, beyond sounding generally great, are clarity and speed. I have not heard any conventional floorstanders in my area with such speed. The 22s are now tops on my list of speakers to buy next. And if they're close to the wall, they're flat enough, if you like that approach.

That said, I'll state that I'm primarily a classical fan, I'm bass-shy (no 15" woofers for me, please) and listen at what would probably be considered only medium levels, so my preferences may be significantly different from yours.