Upgrade Conundrum

Posted by: MontyW on 22 October 2000

Help! I am considering upgrading my present system: LP12 - Akito - Klyde, 3.5/flatcap/92/flatcap 90 & Linn Tukan speakers. I have £1500 to spend and I'd like some advice on potentail combinations of upgrades to dem.

Cheers,

Dave Greenwood

Posted on: 22 October 2000 by Mike Hanson
Trade-in your 3.5/Flat-Cap for a CDX. If you still have money left, trade-in your Flat-Cap on the 92 for a Hi-Cap. Finally, if you can still afford it, trade-in the 92 for a better pre-amp. (Actually, if you changed your 92/Flat to a 32-5/Hi, it would sound much better, and you would probably break even or maybe even make money on the deal.) Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Smilies do not a forum make.

Posted on: 22 October 2000 by Bob Edwards
David--

How much is an Aro in the UK ? The Akito is BY FAR the weak link--whether it is a Scottish or Japanese built one. If an Aro fits in your budget, I would start there, then have a Armageddon fitted. Then you can look at upgrading the CD player as Mike suggests or moving to a better preamp--I like Mikes idea of going to a 32.5/Hicap.

Cheers,

Bob

Posted on: 22 October 2000 by Rico
Hi Dave, and welcome.

Can you tell us a bit about what you want to acheive with your upgrade, and what are you listening to more - CD or Vinyl? What do you like about the system now that you'd like to keep/improve, and what don't you like about it that you'd like to solve.

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 22 October 2000 by Phil Barry
Rico' right - he asks the question you need to answer to get the most cost effective upgrade for yourself.

But the Akito is the weak link....

Phil (ex-Akito, ex-Ittok)