Any J*** Recommendations??

Posted by: John on 28 November 2000

I am having difficulty finding some good jazz CD's, can anyone provide some recommendations? I listen to alot of Keith Jarret, Yellowjackets, Miles Davis (Kind of Blue only), Chick Corea, Oscar Peterson, Diana Krall, Jacky Terranson. I have tried alot of the Miles Davis and John Coltrane which I can appreciate but don't seem to listen to it much. The artful approach of Jarrett is what I love but I need long listening sessions to fully appreciate most of his work. I purchased the Yellowjackets Dreamland which is also great. I am thirsting for jazz but just can't seem to find CDs that have that lasting effect like Kind of Blue or many of Keith Jarrett's CDs. The new Jarrett CDs Whisper Not and The Melody and Night are fantastic additions to my collection. Any suggestions?

Thanx
John

Posted on: 29 November 2000 by John C
Art Blakey and Jazz Messengers (Buhania, Mosaic, Moanin', with Thelonius Monk or anything really)

Oliver Nelson (Blues and the Abstract Truth)

Andrew Hill (Point of Departure)

Eric Dolphy ( Out to Lunch)

Clifford Brown with Max Roach (Of course Brown was the better trumpeter than Miles Davies)

Posted on: 29 November 2000 by woodface
You really would appreciate some big band material! Try, Duke Ellington - Complete Newport Concert, Miles Davis + 19 - Miles Ahead, Thelonious Monk - Live at the Town Hall or Big Band & Quartet. Also buy some Charles Mingus, Start with 'Ah Um', or Coltrane - Blue Train.
I could go on buit you would end up bankrupt!
Posted on: 29 November 2000 by fred simon
Folks have made some excellent suggestions here, and while I wouldn't presume to put myself in the same league as some of them, may I recommend my recent NAIM piano trio release, Dreamhouse. If you enjoy Keith Jarrett (which I do, immensely), you might enjoy this as well.
Posted on: 30 November 2000 by Rico
John

try a Blue Note sampler (there are loads of them)... it'll give you a wide cross-section of the artists (and personnel, which you can later spot on other albums... for example, seems that almost anything that Ray Brown plays on is fab), and give you a good place to move forward from. They're inexpensive, too.

I'm partial to Cookin', Steamin', and Relaxin' by Miles.

HTH

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 30 November 2000 by Pete
Found Dreamhouse a very listenable piece of work, well worth picking up. And while we're on pianiastic jazz on naim, the two Union CDs are worthy of your business too.

Pete.

Posted on: 30 November 2000 by fred simon
Thanks for the kind word, Pete. It sounds much better coming from you than from me.
Posted on: 01 December 2000 by richard goldsmith
Jazz is so personal, but here's a few "accessible" suggestions in addition to those above:

Miles - Porgy & Bess/My Funny Valentine/Someday My Prince Will Come; Bill Evans - live at Montreaux (circa '68); Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage/My Point of View; Wayne Shorter - Adam's Apple/Schizophrenia/Night Dreamer; Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else/Mercy, Mercy, Mercy/Quintet in San Francisco/Nippon Soul; Oscar Peterson - Night Train; Wes Montgomery - Full House; Ahmad Jamal - The Awakening; Oliver Nelson - Blues & the Abstract Truth...

oh dear, and that's just scratching the surface of my favourites...

Posted on: 01 December 2000 by fred simon
Thanks for the nice endorsement, Dave. Glad you're enjoying the music.

And it's very flattering to be mentioned in nearly the same breath as Wayne Shorter, Horace Silver, Brad Mehldau, and Pat Metheny ... all faves of mine.

Posted on: 01 December 2000 by John Boon
Suggest you add a couple of Cassandra Wilson albums to the target list. New Moon Daughter and Blue Light Till Dawn.

Happy listening

Cheers

John

Posted on: 01 December 2000 by Peter Litwack
I've compiled a (highly personal) list of Jazz Greats, which is too lengthy to post here. I'd be happy to email it to anyone who's interested. Here's a short list of jazz artists I consider vital to anyone interested in exploring America's most important contribution to Western Civilization: Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonius Monk, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Bill Evans, Billie Holiday. Not all easy listening, but worth the journey.
Posted on: 01 December 2000 by Bob Edwards
John--

Others already mentioned most of what I would suggest. I would reiterate the Bill Evans suggestions and the Oliver Nelson "Blues and the Abstract Truth"--fantastic record.

Also try the Modern Jazz Quartet--Pyramid, European Concert, Dedicated to Connie, Lonely Woman.

Duke Ellington--Afro-Eurasian Eclipse, Latin American Suite, and Blues in Orbit.

Enjoy !

Bob?

Posted on: 03 December 2000 by Stewart Cooper
Peter,

I bought the Chet Baker album (with others) following your recommendation a few years ago. A really great version of My Funny Valentine. And I can vouch for lots of great Jazz (et al) on your list.

Do Northern Californians again have a Naim dealer?

Stewart (currently repatriated)

Posted on: 04 December 2000 by Peter Litwack
Stewart-
What do you mean you repatriated? Where are you currently living? Back in the UK? I tried to email you, but got a dead letter notice. Email me with your current address. I'd love to hear from you. And yes - Northern California does indeed have a Naim dealer, and I'm it ! Of course, I've been (it) all along! Love the people - love the gear - I wouldn't have it any other way!
BTW, have you checked out Henry Threadgill - "Where's Your Cup"? Absolutely my top pick as the most important serious jazz album of the past several years. A little "outside", but what passion! what inventiveness! what a brilliant goddamn motherf---er!
Posted on: 05 December 2000 by Stewart Cooper
Peter,

For the moment I am using a UK-based server: stewartcooper@onetel.net.uk

Stewartt

Posted on: 08 December 2000 by Peter Litwack
Just a few recommendations for you

Duke Ellington

Ellington Indigos
Rockin' In Rhythm (ASV CD AJA 5057R)
Any Collection from 1928-1933
Money Jungle

Charlie Parker

"Bird" Symbols
Now's the Time (Verve)
The Legendary Dial Masters

Dizzy Gillespie

Bird and Diz
Dizzier & Dizzier
Essential Jazz Masters
Dizzy's Diamonds

Thelonius Monk

Brilliant Corners
5 By Monk By 5
Misterioso
Thelonius Alone In San Francisco
Monk's Blues
Criss Cross
Thelonius in Action

Charles Mingus

Pithecanthropus Erectus
Black Saint & the Sinner Lady
Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus
Mingus Ah Um
Mingus at Monterrey
Mingus Plays Piano
The Clown
Blues & Roots

Miles Davis

Kind of Blue
Sketches of Spain
Round About Midnight
Nefertitti
Cookin'
Music from Siesta
Live Around the World
Tutu

John Coltrane

A Love Supreme
Coltrane (Blue cover - Impulse)
Crescent
Giant Steps
Meditations
Lush Life
John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman
The Village Vanguard Sessions
The Africa Brass Sessions

Ornette Coleman

The Shape of Jazz to Come
Change of the Century
This is Our Music
Free Jazz

Eric Dolphy

Out There
Outward Bound
Out to Lunch (RVG Edition/Blue Note)
The Illinois Concert

Bill Evans

Waltz for Debby
Conversations with Myself
You Must Believe in Spring
The Tony Bennett/Bill Evans Album
Portrait in Jazz

Billie Holiday

Lady in Satin

Django Reinhardt

Any Collection

Chet Baker

Let's Get Lost
The Touch of Your Lips

Lennie Tristano

Lennie Tristano (Atlantic 1224)

Archie Shepp

Ballads for Trane

Henry Threadgill

Where's Your Cup?

Dexter Gordon

Go (RVG Edition/Blue Note)
Swiss Nights

Bud Powell

The Amazing Bud Powell

Roland Kirk

We Free Kings

Sonny Rollins

Sonny Rollins plus Four
Volume Two (RVG Edition/Blue Note)
Saxophone Colossus (Prestige 50th anniversary ed.)

Tadd Dameron

The Magic Touch
Fountainbleu

Posted on: 10 December 2000 by John
Thanks for all of the responses I have been looking for some of the suggestions but it might take some time finding the remastered editions. I picked up the Ella and Louis, Hancock - Maiden Voyage and Wayne Shorter - Speak no Evil. Love all three! I would like to buy some more Miles but I more often disappointed. I have tried Someday my prince will come, Workin, round about midnight, Bitches Brew and for some reason they are interesting but I never listen to them. I don't like the fusion sound. It sounds very outdated to me?? I always come back to Kind of Blue simple but sophisticated. Does he have any other recordings with this approach?

John

Posted on: 11 December 2000 by philip rubin
Peter that is an extensive and well thought out list. To all that replied additional kudos. A couple of additions

Miles- Someday my prince will come
Coltrane- My favortie it things
Hancock- Empyeron Isle
Jimmy Smith- The Sermon
Kenny burrel- Around Midnight

Posted on: 13 December 2000 by Dobbin
Try The Dolphin & Anniversary.

They work for me!