Ben Harper

Posted by: Rico on 29 August 2000

Wow. I scored it a while back, but hadn't yet listened to it. Will to live was also available as a 2-disc set - live four-track bonus ep. I've been grooving away to the main CD since the Bristol show (was that really February?), but just too damned lazy to open up the jewel case to sample the delights of the bonus disc. good stuff. My only criticism of it is the sound on Voodoo Chile is so giutar-forward (shredder fans will appreciate the compressed overdriven fuzz sound) that the bassist is lost way in the background, despite playing loud and clean.

I still haven't got Burn to shine - is it any good? I have Welcome to the cruel world and Fight for your mind**... answers on the back of a one pound coin please?
**thanks Jude at Grahams

Rico - musichead

ricomuzik@hotmail.com

Posted on: 29 August 2000 by Tony L
quote:
I still haven't got Burn to shine - is it any good? I have Welcome to the cruel world and Fight for your mind**... answers on the back of a one pound coin please?

Can't vouch for Burn to shine, but Fight For Your Mind rocks, it was the sellers choice of dem track for the Saras that Roger bought recently - Saras play that bass line rock solid and deep.

Tony.

Posted on: 30 August 2000 by Ian P
Tony,

Doesn't that make two Christian bands in your collection ?

I got it in the Virgin sales a few weeks back - great album.

Ian

Posted on: 30 August 2000 by Tony L
quote:
Doesn't that make two Christian bands in your collection ?

Have not actually bought it yet, and I did not listen to the lyrics - are they really naff in a God bothering way? I hate that, would be enough not to buy it.

Tony.

Posted on: 30 August 2000 by mr saucisson
Where does Ben Harper come from? I only ask because I went to school with a singing god botherer by this name.

Ben

Quote:

Tony,

Depends on your definition of God Botherers.

It is distinctly non-secular in places, but I didn't feel it was "in your face" at all. Like I said I think it's a really good album.

BTW I find his voice to be almost a male Tracy Chapman, with hints of Bob Marley. I think that's good by the way - you may not !

Let us know what you think if you decide it's worth the risk.

Ian

Posted on: 30 August 2000 by mr saucisson
Thanks Michael, obviously not the same Ben Harper. I went to school in Sheffield and Chester - not California.

Creepy though. Hidden nominative determinism in the name Ben or HARPer?

Ben

Tony,

Listened to "Fight for your mind" on the way home (it was in the car as it happens). I still think it's a great album, but tracks 12-14 are rather more god bothery than I had previously recalled.

Hey, it's MUSIC. Buy it on that premise and you won't go wrong.

Ian

Posted on: 30 August 2000 by Rico
that Ben falls into the 'God Botherer' category does not seem to be generally publicised in NZ (IIRC) where he has big-style star status. Someone told me recently that NZ has one of the lowest church attendance per capita stats for the globe. Whatever that means.

His music does not strike me that way, most that does seems to put me to sleep... apart from Bob Dylan's 'christian' album, which is not considered his finest moment (apart from the sound and musicianship). Sure is catchy though. Whatever it is, Ben has steel strings and feedback in his soul.

Rico - musichead

ricomuzik@hotmail.com

Posted on: 31 August 2000 by Willem van Gemert
Hi Rico,

I've got all the albums you mention above and Burn to Shine is not my favorite, but still worth checking out. I rarely listen to it though, opposed to Ben Harper's earlier work which I listen to regularly. I think it's his engagement (political and spiritual) which makes his earlier work so special. I miss this "emotion" especially in his latest album. My favorite album remains Fight for your Mind.

Ciao!

Willem

Posted on: 07 November 2000 by Thomas K
Rico and all,

Just had to resume this one again. I find the playing on all of Harper’s albums is amazingly tight and musical, and the sound on the first three albums is rather exceptional for anything that usually classifies as ‘Rock’, although the production on ‘Will to Live’ started sounding a bit too polished for my taste (songs are still groovy, though).

Yesterday I just had to get ‘Burn to Shine’ to complete the collection. Maybe I have to listen to it a few more times, but I’m not too impressed with the songs. What I really don’t like is that the sound is so polished, it literally does shine: open, sharp, spacious … and cold. On the first two albums you could feel the distance between the mike and the guitar amp, while now the sound seems like a DDD recording (i.e. like everything that makes the CD format inferior).

Anyone else observe this?

Thomas