Q: Converting 42.5 to 72?

Posted by: Andrew Randle on 28 September 2000

Dear all,

A quick question. Is it possible to send my 42.5 to Naim for converting to a 72?

I know this is possible with the 32.5, but not clear on the 42.5.

Also, the volume pot is getting noisy and needs replacing.

In order to achieve all this, what do I need to do and what would be the break down of cost?

Thanx,

Andrew

Andrew Randle
2B || !2B;
4 ^ = ?;

Posted on: 28 September 2000 by Rico
yes and no. I would expect that this is a waste of time/money, as the whole motherboard and lower chassis would likely need to be replaced, and the daughterboards installed with it... and then for cosmetics, you'd need a case refinish. You could just take your 42.5, add some stuff to it (that is, cash) and voila - 72! That is, buy a 72 and sell your 42.5. It's that simple.

Alternately, you could start a 42.5 better than 72 cult.

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 28 September 2000 by Andrew Randle
The idea was just to change the motherboard (and any plug-in boards that need changing). I know of several others that have had this done to their 32.5.

Cosmetics will be kept.

More importantly, the volume pot needs changing. When I turn it, it can be noisy and the right channel has cut out once or twice.

Andrew

Andrew Randle
2B || !2B;
4 ^ = ?;

Posted on: 28 September 2000 by BrianD
Andrew

Why don't you look out on LOOT and pick up a 32.5. I've seen plenty for around £150. It's much better than the 42.5.

If you can spend a bit more there's a 72 on Loot right now for around £300.

Brian

Posted on: 28 September 2000 by Andrew Randle
Yep I was considering the 32.5 also. Why spend 120 pounds on a new volume pot when I can get a whole new amp?

Alternatively I could hold out and buy a new 72.

However, does anyone know when they will be discontinued? Would this lead to any cut price 72s in the shops?

Andrew

Andrew Randle
2B || !2B;
4 ^ = ?;