Reissued Beethoven symphonies cond by Furt****ler

Posted by: Todd A on 14 November 2000

Anyone heard or bought this set? It's an EMI reissue that was slated for early October release, at least in the UK. It's spread out from 1944 through 1954 and looks to include the Bayreuth 9th that is also available as a Great Recording.

I'm especially interested in any state-side reponses. I checked Tower on-line and it was not yet available. I'm just hoping that it is available elsewhere. Please, please, please, someone say you've seen it.

(I hope this doesn't languish like the Koussevitsky recording of Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra on Naxos - the 1944 premiere recording - which is still not available state-side.)

Posted on: 15 November 2000 by Igor Zamberlan
I bought it in Italy in September...

Mine is an EMI-Italy issue, which cost me about $20, VAT included. The remastering job doesn't seem to be bad, also.

Igor

Posted on: 22 November 2000 by Todd A
I was fortunate enough to find the set. It was more expensive than I like to pay - $45 for 5 discs - but I will be listening to it over the upcoming long holiday weekend in the US. All this and my FlatCap2 is on its way, too. Life is very good, indeed.
Posted on: 27 November 2000 by Phil Barry
For some very good commentary on Furt's discography, see Henry Fogel's reviews in Fanfare.

Does this EMI set include 3, 5, 7 with the VPO recorded in the early 50s? If so, look for HF's recommendations, one of which is Tahra FURT 1008-1011. Incredible.

Phil