throw the REL away?

Posted by: Bas V on 19 September 2000

I really like this forum, so here's another question to keep you off the streets!

I currently own an nac92, nap90/3, flatcap & cdi combo. Speakers are Monitor Audio Studio 2's and a Rel Stadium 2. Now I have noticed that some of you think the bass of subwoofers is not fast enough for Naim gear.

Which speakers could you recommend me to blast my present setup away? My present room is 4 x 4 m. The new speakers will have to work both in small as in large rooms, as I am planning on moving within a year.

Thanks, Bas

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Nigel Cavendish
quote:
Now I have noticed that some of you think the bass of subwoofers is not fast enough for Naim gear.

Bas

The real question is what you think. If you like what you hear then enjoy. People will advise buying Mana(it is worth it IMHO) or on changing the front end, or the pre/power or the speakers. You could spend a small or large fortune to get more, better etc.

Whatever, if you feel compelled to change then audition gear at home and at leisure.

cheers

Nigel

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Jonathan Gorse
You will struggle to find a speaker which does what an REL does. In the naim range only the DBL's have (maybe!) that much scale and wallop.

My experience of using REL sub with SBL's had mixed results depending on the music played but to be fair I don't think either myself, Kevin H or Joel found the Storm 3 to be drastically slow - it just needed the settings changing for each record which was a bit of a pain.

If you like what you're getting why change - don't follow the party line here we need more mavericks!

Jonathan

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Rico
quote:
don't follow the party line here we need more mavericks!

Yeah! heh heh ... mmmmMavericks..mavericks... mavericks with Kans!

Rico - musichead

ricomuzik@hotmail.com

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Tony L
quote:
Yeah! heh heh ... mmmmMavericks..mavericks... mavericks with Kans!

Yeah bass, ha! I win, I've got Kans, and a bass.

Tony.

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Arthur Bye
Bas:

I have a Stadium II and would have to agree with Jonathan Gorse's post above for the most part. I have no familiarity with the Monitor Audio speakers and how they would match up.

My prior experience with the Stadium II found them a competent match for Sonus Faber Concertos, Soliloquy 5.0's, but not for Epos 22's.

My feeling however is the faster your Satellite speakers are, the harder it will be to match them with the Rel.

It really a hit or miss affair with a Sub and in the end its just easier to get a full range speaker.

You should call Rel customer service (or Sumiko in the USA). You will find them very helpful and willing to take the time to get the sub set up right.

Arthur Bye

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Martin Payne
Arthur,

my experience with Epos was many years ago with ES14s.

I never found the bass to be very neutral - either too much or too little. This suggests to me they were doing something strange in the bass, and it might make them difficult to match with a sub.

I appreciate these are a much older, more down-spec model, may not be relevant...some time after I sold them I heard ES11s and they seemed to avoid all the problems of the '14s.

cheers, Martin