The people in Naim are saving my money...

Posted by: Arye_Gur on 12 September 2000

This evening I heard the cd5 with the nait5 -
(I may be proud as the first one who heard this
combo in Israel) the system sounds great but looks quite awful.

I was disappointed because if I want to upgrade
my nait3 to the nait5 I can't use my phono boards
and I'm not sure if I can use my flatcap.

So if the people in Naim wanted to save my money
by avoiding me upgrading to the nait5 - they did
a great job..... Thanks....

Posted on: 12 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
You didn't mention what you had for a CD player. If it's a CD3.5, then I assume that you have the Flat-Cap on the CD player and not the Nait3. (It will make your system sound much better with it powering the CD.)

Upgrading from the Nait3 to the Nait5 would not provide a sufficient improvement for the money. You're better to go for a 102/180. If you can't afford that, then look for a used 32.5/110. This will sound better than a Nait3, and you'll make money after selling the Nait3.

However, if you've got a 3.5, you're better to upgrade to a CDX and move the Flat-Cap to the Nait3. This is your best choice for performance and value (i.e. CDX/Nait3/Flat).

Yes, the old Flat-Cap will work with the new equipment. It doesn't have a secondary supply like the new Flat-Cap2, but it still works as a primary supply for a CD3.5, Nait3, Nait5, and any Naim pre-amp (except the 52). Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Smilies do not a forum make.

Posted on: 12 September 2000 by Steven Phee
Personally I think the nait 5 is a very worthwhile upgrade over the nait 3, esp when you consider the fact that it sells for the same as the nait 3r did. I found the nait 5 not as "idiosyncratically-sounding" than previous gear.

The 102/180 combo sells for more than twice the price of the nait 5; It's in a different class altogether. Even the cheapest pre-power combo is significantly more expensive.

And also, the CDX is twice the price of the CD3.5 or CD5. I would prefer to use the money for more CDs.

Steven

Posted on: 13 September 2000 by Rico
Mike

have you heard the 5 series, yet?

Rico - musichead

ricomuzik@hotmail.com

Posted on: 13 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
>> have you heard the 5 series, yet? <<

Not yet, although I'm looking forward to it. Bay Bloor here in Toronto have told me that the new line is not being released until the fall. (He tried to tell me that was worldwide, but it must be only in Canada, so that the old stock is moved first.)

I accept that the 5 series is an improvement on the 3, however even Naim contends that it's still not at the 102/180 level (or even 112/150 for that matter). Since I feel that you should go to at least to a 102/180 from a Nait3 to get a "satisfying" upgrade, the fact that I haven't heard the Nait5 doesn't really affect my advice. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 13 September 2000 by Steven Phee
Hi Mike,

yes, you're definitely right, and it's for that reason I replaced my Nait 3R with the 102/flat/psc/140 combo. But that came after saving up a looong time.

But the point I was trying to make is that, yes, the 102/180 combo definitely betters the nait 5, but at what price? We are comparing gear in different price segments altogether, and I don't think anyone in the market for a nait5 would look to the 102/180 as an alternative.

cheers,
Steven

In this case, the fellow already has a Nait3 and he wants to upgrade, presumably to get a significant boost in sound quality. Given this, the Nait5 is not enough of a improvement over the Nait3 to make it worth the cost of the upgrade. If he want's a significant improvement, he has to take a bigger step.

Alternatively, if a person doesn't yet have any Naim gear and all they can afford is the entry-level series, then the Nait5 is probably a very good choice. However, I would probably suggest that they get a used 32.5/Hi/110 instead. It all depends on whether you want new kit or the best possible sound for your money (i.e. different strokes for different folks). This all seems pretty straightforward to me. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 13 September 2000 by Rico
thanks to your detailed defense of my enquiry regarding your auditioning of the new 5 series, Mike.

I should like to point out my concern that it appears advice is poured out freely to newbies and not-so-newbies amongst this forum, where the solution in question has not been auditioned by the advisor, or at least annotated as such. Might one suggest that, as contributors, we refrain from such actions, lest the results be exposed as what in North America (at least) is referred to as 'a bum steer' ....a cattle ranching term, one might wonder.

yours in the spirit of free and open communication

Rico - musichead

ricomuzik@hotmail.com

Ok, I'll attempt to clarify my background and stance in my future bits of advice. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-