To much speakercable?

Posted by: Erik on 27 September 2000

What do You do with the speakercable to the speaker closest to the amp? I have a couple of meters left at the amp and would like some advise how to do with it.

/Erik (the surenameless)

Posted on: 27 September 2000 by Frank Abela
Erik,

Make sure the two lengths are the same. That's the most important thing. I usually coil up the extra length very loosely. You can also coil it in a figure of eight if you want to avoid the very slightest of magnetic effects of coiling, but this is tweakery beyond nonsense in my opinion.

Regards,
Frank.

Posted on: 27 September 2000 by David Dever
Erik-

Let's assume that you've NOT placed the system between the speakers (that is, the system is on a side or back wall with respect to the speakers).

Let's also assume that BOTH left and right speaker cables are too long.

What could you do? Start by running the speaker wire from the farthest cabinet to the amplifier; if you have extra, run thisfrom the speaker PAST the system and then double back into the amplifier (as the letter J). Sofas are particularly good cable-hiding devices!

If this is not acceptable, start at the amplifier and run the excess (for BOTH channels) past the most distant speaker, then double back to each appropriate speaker. Use a houseplant (non-magnetic, aesthetically pleasing, blah blah) to cover the cable turn.

Obviously coiling is bad, though I doubt that a wire-tied turn (as Vuk's paraphrased post above would imply) would really help matters as regards cable microphony.

Hope this makes sense.

Dave Dever, NANA

Posted on: 28 September 2000 by Rico
quote:
What exactly is an inductor?

Oh, he's the dude standing out in front of your fave Indie band waving a big stick.

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 28 September 2000 by Steven Phee
An inductor is an electronic component that converts electrical energy into magnetic energy. It basically reacts to resist a change in current.

Steven