Recommendations: Satie and Debussy

Posted by: Thomas K on 11 January 2001

Can anyone recommend some good recordings of Satie and Debussy piano works? I have Satie’s ‘Gymnopédies/Gnossiennes’ played by the Jacques Loussier Trio (excellent HDCD recording) and wouldn’t mind having a classical version too – it seems there are recordings with and without orchestra (I think I’d prefer a piano-only version). Also interested in Debussy.

Cheers

Thomas

Posted on: 11 January 2001 by Todd A
For Debussy, you simply cannot go wrong with Walter Gieseking. Either specific discs or the entire 4 CD set of all the works (less a couple) on EMI would do nicely. I have the complete set and it is, well, wonderful. If you can't stand mono sound, try the more recent recordings by either Zimerman or Thibaudet. Thiollier (sic ?) on Naxos is also good.

As for works, well the Preludes are a good place to start. And then there's Images, and the Suite Bergamesque, Children's Corner, and the Fantasie for Piano and Orchestra (an underrated work).

Satie is a little less compelling. I suggest getting the budget Seraphim release ($7 US) of assorted Satie works played by Also Ciccolini to see which ones you like. From there, well, perhaps you should seek reviews from Gramophone or elsewhere.

Posted on: 11 January 2001 by Thomas K
Todd,

Thanks a lot - that'll keep me busy at the record store.

Thomas

Posted on: 12 January 2001 by Igor Zamberlan
Other than the Gieseking, Michelangeli and Zimerman (I happen to like a lot this one) there was a stunning recording by a lamented Italian pianist, Dino Ciani. It was available, at least here in Italy, on a DGG twofer, coupled with some Schumann works.

Another recording of the Preludes I come back to often, even if it's really different from the ones listed above, being somewhat old French imperssionistic school, is Marcelle Meyer's one, available (that I am aware of) only on a - luckily cheap - 6 CD set on EMI France, which is called 'Les introuvables de Marcelle Meyer' (there are three volumes, this is the non numbered one, the other two being called Les introuvables de MM vol. 2 and vol. 3) which also includes Ravel's complete piano works, Chabrier's and other French composers works. The heritage of the lady could be tracked back to the Group des Six. It's a still enjoyable early fifties mono recording. I am not endorsing a purchase, only saying that it could be worth to have a listen if possible.

By any chance, one to miss is, in my opinion, Zoltan Kocsis recording for Philips. It seems he keeps telling himself "now, let's try to do this like no-one other did".

No insights of mine on Satie; I only have a Pascal Roge' anthology. I can't even remember if there's something of his in the Meyer set. I find him boring more than a little, after first listen.

Igor

Posted on: 12 January 2001 by Matthew T
I have a recording of various Satie works (the usual) by Pascal Roge (Decca I think Bar Code No. 0 28941 02202). It really is very good.

Not sure on the Debussy front.

Matthew

[This message was edited by Matthew Thoelke on FRIDAY 12 January 2001 at 18:29.]

Posted on: 12 January 2001 by Thomas K
Guys,

Thanks a million! I'm not too familiar with classical music, so your responses are very helpful.

My forte, if anything, seems to be women (wish I could stop here) folk/pop singer/songwriters, so as a "thank you", if you're interested, I can recommend my latest absolutely compelling discovery: McKinley (a former woman engineer!), "Big Top Shop Talk" - the album came out last year I think, and is one of the best in the genre I have ever heard.

Cheers

Thomas

Posted on: 15 January 2001 by Pete
I have a couple of Satie piano work collections. First up was Ciccolini on HMV's budget label, which is a good starter, but I usually listen to Reinbert de Leeuw on Philips, and looking at Amazon there's a budget one due out on Feb. 5th which may be worth looking into.

de Leeuw is very slow, so if you like your stuff uptempo then probably avoid (aside from Gnossienne 5, which he shoots through on the CD I have), but if slow is good for you he gets a beautiful feel into the music. This is solo piano, IMHO the reference format for at least the Gnossiennes and Gymnopedies.

For something rather different, try Tommy Smith's "Gymnopedie", sax and piano duo which includes a few Satie numbers, as well as Corea, Bartok and self composed work. It's available on Linn, and is a tenner from their website. Nice disc, rather off the beaten track.

Pete.

Posted on: 16 January 2001 by Chris Metcalfe
If you like Debussy and Satie piano works, chances are you'll like Ravel. 2 CDs of his magical piano music on NIMBUS by Vlado Perlemuter were quite early CD releases but still sound excellent. I would take this double-CD to a desert island (UK listeners only).