Display off on CD5

Posted by: Simon Jenkins on 13 September 2000

I was playing with this last night as well. I always listen to the CD5 with the display turned off, but last night was playing around with switching the display off and on.

I was actually surprised about how noticible the difference was. It only really seemed to affect the top end.

I find that the CD5 is slightly bright on high frequencies. Most of the time this is not very notiticable, but does make some (very few, I'm not trying to put people of buying, as I beleive that the CD5 is an excellent player) tracks almost unlistenable. Anyway switching the display on brought about an immediate increase in the brightness of the top end, switch the display off and it went away.

I guess those of you who have had good CD players for a number of years noticed this sort of thing a long time ago, but being new to the world of quality CD players ( have been running just my LP12 as source for about 8 years), I thought this was an interesting observation.

Simon

Posted on: 13 September 2000 by Martin Payne
Simon,

hmmm, new source plugged in, eh?

Earth check. Unplug the LP12 (and any tuners, tapes, etc) from the mains & listen to that top end again. Any better?

I don't remember how long you've had your player, so it may just be going through an extended run-in.

cheers, Martin

Posted on: 14 September 2000 by Simon Jenkins
Martin,

I've tried unplugging the Lingo, and it doesn't make a noticeable difference. This was only for a short time, as I find that the Lingo takes a long time after power off to get back to it's best a week or so to be good, anything up to about 4 to really sing, never been able to understand this, I have had three Lingo's dating back to one with a serial number of about 40, to my current one which is less than six months old ( dont be put of Lingo buyers, there was nothing wrong with my two old Lingo's, they both got stolen, so somebody somewhere has a couple of the most expensive doorstops in history).

Anyway, back to the CD5. I think some of the problem relates to sitting on a fairly lightweight wooden table, am looking to go Mana soon. Also the player excellent 99% of the time, the only CD I have had to turn off was Janis Joplin. So it's not really a critical problem. I've had the CD5 about 2 weeks now and most of the brightness has gone now it's warmed up.

I was mainly posting to express my surprise as to how noticeable the difference was between having the display off and back on.

Compared to the Densen CD player I demed the CD5 against the CD5 is positively dull at the top-end. I found the Denses was an awesome player, just didn't work for me with Naim amps.

Simon