Quad ESL 989 speakers

Posted by: scott ross on 22 August 2000

Does anyone on the Forum have experience with the new Quad ESL 989 speakers fed by Naim gear? I have ESL 63 US Monitors, which I like very much, but would also like to have better bass. If anyone has heard the 989's, perhaps they could comment as to whether the 989's are just as good as the 63's everywhere else, but also offer better bass and work well with Naim amps.

Scott Ross

Posted on: 23 August 2000 by David Hobbs-Mallyon
I heard a demo recently of the Quad 989s in a CDX/52/sc/250 system. I was very impressed by the system - but I can't fit the Quad in my listening room. To my ears the 989s driven by 250 are still a touch bass-light.

David

Posted on: 23 August 2000 by Andrew Randle
You would probably be better off trying Magneplanar loudspeakers (www.magnepan.com). They have much better than electrostatics. Also, they should be able to show off the musical qualities of the Naim gear.

Andrew

Andrew Randle
2B || !2B;
4 ^ = ?;

Posted on: 23 August 2000 by Paul B
I previously owned Maggies driven by a NAP140. I was never very happy with their performance - none of the qualities of Naim gear IMO. Great if you want the US High End approach to music reproduction where soundstage and static visual aspects are all important. I felt that Linn Kans were much better at the time. SBLs even better again.

Paul