Come Together

Posted by: Mark Rampling on 12 November 2000

Nortel Networks are showing a TV advert in the UK with 'Come Together' as the backing music -- anyone know who the performer is?

I've tried contacting Nortel, but they didn't reply.

Posted on: 19 November 2000 by Naheed
Hi Mark, its the 1969 song Come Together...
Its on the new beatles release: http://www.cd-wow.com/detail_results.php?cat=normal&item=BEAT009

Come Together (Lennon/McCartney)
Here come old flattop he come grooving up slowly
He got joo-joo eyeball he one holy roller
He got hair down to his knee
Got to be a joker he just do what he please
He wear no shoeshine he got toe-jam football
He got monkey finger he shoot coca-cola
He say "I know you, you know me"
One thing I can tell you is you got to be free

Come together right now over me

He bag production he got walrus gumboot
He got Ono sideboard he one spinal cracker
He got feet down below his knee
Hold you in his arms, yeah you can feel his disease

He roller-coaster he got early warning
He got muddy water he one mojo filter
He say "One and one and one is three"
Got to be good-looking 'cause he's so hard to see

naheed...

Posted on: 20 November 2000 by Pete
If you want The Beatles take on "Come Together" get Abbey Road rather than 1. For the other tracks, pick up the other albums...

There's a great solo guitar instrumental version on Antonio Forcione's "Dedicato", by the way, released on some obscure label from Salisbury...

Pete.

Posted on: 20 November 2000 by Steve Catterall
However 1 has been remastered rather like Yello Submarine, so until they do the same for the 'other albums', there is a good reason to get it
Posted on: 20 November 2000 by Chris Metcalfe
"until they do the same for the 'other albums'"...

Actually they have remastered just one of the 'proper' Beatles' albums, i.e. 'The Beatles' (30th anniversary reissue with the impossible-to-get-the-CD-out imitation LP style inner sleeves.)

Sounds bonzer. Get '1' anyway - 'Ticket to Ride' sounds amazing.

Posted on: 22 November 2000 by Michael Dale
Mark, I know the advert you mean, it's a bit of a dodgy cover. I'm guessing that because The Beatles/Apple/EMI have a strict policy of not allowing their back catalogue to be used as a tool for selling anything from tampons to car insurance, the advertising agency were stuck with having to pay some session musicians to "bash one out" as they say in the trade.
It happened with the Verve, who did not want their Bitter Sweet Symphony song to be used to sell Vauxhall cars, so the ad appeared with a re-recorded version. Nobody wins in this case though, cos the general public think it's the original, but the Verve turned down a large sum of cash to prevent it being used. Catch 22.

This kind of stuff goes on all the time. My band turned down £250,000 from The Sun newspaper for their TV advertising campaign. Fortunately they didn't re-record it with some muppets, but found another band who were happy to suck satans cock for considerably less. I won't mention who it was.
(not unless you pay me!!!!!!!!!)

Posted on: 23 November 2000 by Rico
quote:
Nobody wins in this case though, cos the general public think it's the original, but the Verve turned down a large sum of cash to prevent it being used. Catch 22.

Interesting stuff, Michael. Surely the band still wins out of publishing royalties, though? Or am I ou west here, as there is only braodcast at stake, and no direct sales of the 'cover'? As you can tell, I don't understand the complexities of music industry and money re bands/publishing etc, but would like to know more.

Oh, and yeah, ditto - which is your band?

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 23 November 2000 by matthewr
>> Surely the band still wins out of publishing royalties, though? <<

The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony is not the normal case as its actually a cover version of a Rolling Stones song (check the liner notes - its credited to Jagger/Richards IIRC). Hence they hold copyright on their version and can prevent its use but cannot stop another version being made and used instead. The Rolling Stones would have to give permission though and would get a roylaty fee as usual.

Similarly with The Beatles songs - McCartney was famously outbid for the rights by Micheal Jackson so he cannot prevent the use of his songs only the use of his recordings.

In the normal case a band who have written and recorded thier own song can prevent the use of the recording and the song as they will own all the rights for the song and the recording.

Matthew

Posted on: 23 November 2000 by Tony L
quote:
Oh, and yeah, ditto - which is your band?

A search of allmusic.com for 'Michael Dale' brings up the following picture:-

I suspect there is more than one Michael Dale, or he can play harp, drums, and viola, which is a hell of a range.

Tony.

Posted on: 23 November 2000 by Michael Dale
The band I play in is called Embrace. We have released two albums on Hut Recordings/Virgin.
If the ad company re-record your track then you don't get the fee for use of your version. The publishing royalties a band would get for use of a cover of their song would be pretty small compared to the kind of figures I mentioned above.

The Verve lost out big time with Bitter Sweet because it was decided that they hadn't written it at all, and that it was written by the Rolling Stones! Hence Jagger and Richards got all the publishing from that one!!!

I think bands and artists have relaxed a bit now, I mean after all, if the advertising agency is gonna use a really bad version of your song and your gonna make a few pence, you may as well let em use the proper version and be well rewarded for it financially (providing the product being advertised is sound). Where would Moby be now if he had not allowed half his album to be used in TV ads? He is a household name, my aunties and uncles love him!

The reason we turned down the Sun advert is because it's a shit newspaper (putting it mildly) and a fee even bigger than that offered would not have made us happy to be associated with it.

I'll just type your name in the search area, Tony and "suspect" that the first picture to appear is in fact you.

I am not in that photograph. Who are they?

Posted on: 23 November 2000 by Tony L
quote:
I am not in that photograph. Who are they?

I have absolutely no idea! Its just what you get when you run the search.

quote:
I'll just type your name in the search area, Tony and "suspect" that the first picture to appear is in fact you.

I'm not in the allmusic.com database, not even wrongly [sniff].

Tony.

Hey Tony,

This'll make you laugh. Checked allmusic.com for Embrace and apart from a few iffy reviews, there is no mention of me!!! The photographer gets a bloody credit, and the bloke who made tea during the mastering session, but no keyboard player/ string arranger! I'll get my coat.

Maybe I should have been in the band you posted a picture of!

Posted on: 23 November 2000 by Pete
A lot of the problem here is that the music business is in business to make money and not to make music, so standard practices and contracts often tend to (a) screw musicians royally and (b) keep the copyright in the songs with labels rather than the folk who actually wrote them, so there is less control than there really should be over what's used.

Pete.

Posted on: 23 November 2000 by Simon Jenkins
Michael,

All credit to you for turning down the Sun, especially if the amount of money Embrace are quoted as owing to Virgin/Hut in this months Record Collector is correct.

Simon

Posted on: 23 November 2000 by matthewr
Don't be fobbed off with Tony's imposter -- here's the real McCoy:

Matthew

Posted on: 23 November 2000 by P
Hey Mick (any relation to Dick?)

Better get a new album out soon .. the pop hipsters these days seem a bit fickle if you know what I mean .. here today....

Re P. bin there done that etc......