Speaker/floor interaction

Posted by: Hammerhead on 04 October 2000

Does anyone have any experience in isolating speakers from the floor? The reason that I ask is because my current speakers (see profile) give out a fair bit of bass which you can feel through the (carpet over concrete) floor. I don't personally find this a problem but I'm not so sure about the chap downstairs… I'm toying with the idea of placing some concrete slabs, which I'll also spike, underneath the speakers.
Will this reduce the amount of energy going into the floor without having a detrimental effect on the sound of my system?

Cheers,

Steve

Posted on: 05 October 2000 by Naheed
Stephen, i had similar problems, and decided to go for a pair of Soundbases which worked a treat, i then added a second pair which improve matters EVEN further.

Additional Height does'nt seem to be a problem with additional phases...

naheed...

Posted on: 05 October 2000 by Darren Miller
My speakers were producing thes same problem. Losing power into the floor(wooded suspended). It was quite noticeable as you could feel the vibration in your feet.

I simply purchased 4 half size paving slabs and positioned the rear spikes of the speakers on one slab and the front spikes on another. I found it easier to level with 4 slabs rather than just 2 large ones.

This has not only removed the vibration from the floor but increased the performance of the system no end.

Try it first as it's lots cheaper than starting with the Mana and will probably give you 75%(ish) of the perfomance gain. Thus allowing you to purchase a Mana stand for your CDX with the money that you've just saved.

Darren Miller