CDX vs CDSII, Mana Stands, Dedicated Line

Posted by: John on 05 October 2000

Well I thought I would write about some of my experiences.

My wife has been away so I have had the chance to put in a dedicated
line, purchase a Mana two tier rack and test my CDX against my
friends CDSII. My system is a CDX/XPS, 82Super, 135's, SBLs.

At first I setup the Mana rack and tested the CDX with the Mana
against the CDSII. In this setup the CDSII sounded like it had a
slower pacing than the CDX. The CDSII presented a smoother
picture, lower noise floor, but I was really put off by the change
in the pacing of the music.

After this I read a post someone put on the forum about a dedicated
line. I decided to go for the same. The combined effect of the dedicated
line and the Mana stand is absolutely amazing! Of all the changes I
have every made to any system these two changes were the most
significant. The Mana stand holds my CDX and 82. Previous people
have posted about the garbage that is taken out of the signal. There
is no exageration to these claims.

I was shocked at how the dedicated line stripped so much of the
electrical sound out of the signal. Something also very strange
happened, the pacing of the CDSII increased and the CDX decreased
making them exactly the same. I don't understand this but my system
without the dedicated line translated the CDX signal fast and the
CDSII signal slow. Does anyone have an explanation for this???
Other people who like the CDSII complained about the upfront
more in your face presentation of the CDX. Without the dedicated
line I would agree but with it and the CDX on Mana the presentation
is very similar.

I have gone back to testing the CDSII to the CDX and although
the CDSII is better, 100% of the performance is captured by the
CDX. The presentation with the CDSII is smoother and more
refined. I would love to hear the two with a 52. I assume the
differences would become more obvious. For me I just get into the
music no matter what player is on and for this reason I am staying
with the CDX.

The combination of the Mana and dedicated line has brought a
pitch to the sound which is amazing. There is a harmonic ring
to the instruments that wasn't previously there. The base lines
sound like metal strings that are under tension and have a
bounce to them not a boom. There are rythmic changes the
drummers are doing that I have never heard. The pace of the
music is also being driven by the collective performance rather
than just a boom boom or the dominent instruments. I have
arrived!

Taking the Mana to phase 2 would be very inexpensive
I am curious if anyone has done this and could explain the
degree of the change. I could also buy a 4 tier stand for more
and put the balance of my equipment on Mana but I assume
I would get more sonically taking the CDX & 82 to phase 2.
Any opinions?

John

Posted on: 06 October 2000 by Naheed
John, i have progressed through the Mana Phases (1-5) so FAR ... its either Phase 7 or 9 next

In summation:
Phase 1 was when I understood
Phase 4 was when I believed
Phase 5 Audio Ecstasy
Phase 7 Lose the box fixation

naheed...

Posted on: 06 October 2000 by Nic Peeling
John

Are you using the 3M rubber feet under your CDX (Mana provide them free)? I heard them added to a CDX on a friend's Mana stand and they made a big difference (I think the metal foot / glass shelf coupling does not transmit vibrations into the Mana stand properly).

Nic P

Posted on: 06 October 2000 by Rico
quote:
Would someone please be kind enough to inform me what a "dedicated line" is, please?

Dude, Dedicated Line is a banking expression relating to a constantly available, unlimited line of credit... the Level 2 Dedicated Line is a niche-market value-added service where the supplier of your Dedicated Line will not only extend capital, but will also engage suppliers on your behalf.

The Dedicated Line has a variety of uses/applications, for example one might live in a perpetual state of audio nirvana with a Party-Pack+DBL system.

Sadly not many of us punters are well connected enough in the banking and finance world to have intimate knowledge of this Dedicated Line. ... but one lives in hope.

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 06 October 2000 by Jonathan Gorse
Chris,

I think Rico is pulling your chump!

I presume the dedicated line is a dedicated mains spur which I still haven't done and which would seem to make eminently more sense than any box upgrades.

Jonathan

Who is still trying to find an electrician to do the work. The last guy quoted £400 and seemed to be saying that he couldn't get 30A cable to fit onto the MK sockets so I'd have to use 20A.

Posted on: 06 October 2000 by Rico
Errrrr, I'll stick to my own chump, thanks very much!

Yes indeed, I was "having a lawwwwf".

Ok: Dedicated line is AKA Dedicated Spur, which can be described as a Power Spur connected soley for supplying your HiFi with clean power ... this has no other equipment tapped in en-route from your main distribution board, and is certainly not a 'ring main'. High-Current capability is desirable, with many reporting better performance with fatter cables. As Electrical Regulations vary from country to country, and area to area, a sweeping 'how to' is not appropriate. ie some report great results with a separate earth spike for the outlet socket, but in many areas this is illegal. High-quality outlets unswitched preferred), connecting as close to the inlet connection on the DB, avoid MCB's if possible under your regulations, make sure the Earth cable from your DB to the main Earth Stake would likely fit as generic pointers - YMMV. A competent Naim dealer should be able to provide suitable pointers for your location, and might even have a 'tame electrician' who knows what it is you're asking for. A good place to start.

Note - don't try this yourself at home kids, as fried crispy Naim users do not a large world market make. Consult/engage a qualified professional for this kind of work if you don't know your elbow from your AVO. No liabilty implied or accepted. There, that sounds like the 'small print' hurridly read at the end of a radio ad, huh?

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 06 October 2000 by Arthur Bye

John: I have made this samr comparison on Mana (5 tier phase2) and would generally agree with your findings with two differences.

I still find that the CDX is "faster" than the CDSII. The CDSII does vocals better than the CDX.

I find both units excellent in their overall presentation but give the nod to the CDSII.

This is through Mana Phase2 and a 52/Scap/135

quote:
100% of the performance is captured by the
CDX.
Posted on: 06 October 2000 by John
It was the dedicated line that brought the pace in line. They are very similar now. I honestly can't hear a pacing difference now. I assume the electrical sound in the system was like a thick varnish on wood, it exagerated the CDX signal where the flatness (??) of the CDSII signal was burried a sounded slow.

The differences are probably more revealed by the 52 and maybe going to phase 2 on the Mana. It sounds like you are a few steps ahead of me in equipment. With the 82 there are very little differences at least to my ears. Do you have a dedicated line? I would strongly suggest it if you don't the difference is amazing!

Thanks for your input.

John

Posted on: 07 October 2000 by Andy S
quote:
You are using an RCD circuit on your hi-fi spur ?

Jonathan

If you have a dedicated earth spur it is the "law" (in the IEE wiring regs) in the UK (i.e. any self-respecting sparky wouldn't install a dedicated earth unless theer was an RCD as without you can have a fault to earth without the fuse blowing...)

Andy (who has an RCD in his dedicated spur)

Posted on: 07 October 2000 by Arthur Bye
John
quote:
Do you have a dedicated line? I would strongly suggest it if you don't the difference is amazing!

John I have a dedicated line but it's only 20 amps and I am not using hospital grade outlets. It's also on a circuit breaker, not a fuse. That'll be my next step.

There is another thread on this a few weeks ago. My feeling is that the CDX/XPS/Mana is close to a CDSII. There are some occasions where I prefer it to the CDSII. The CDSII has a more analog sound with better midrange and bass. PR&T seem good when directly compared against analog.

The CDX/XPS however has a PR&T thing that really gets you into the music. I'm not sure if this is a false reality or not. I just know that there are occasions when I prefer to listen to the CDX/XPS causes it swings a bit more. I might be because it attacks the notes more quickly, it might be because the vocals are not as emphasized, or it might be because the bass does not to seem to extend as low or as laid back. Maybe it's all three.

It depends on my mood and also the music I listen to.

I have said it before. The CDX/XPS confronts you with the music, you cannot ignore it. The CDSII embraces you with the same music.

Neither is wrong, just different.

Arthur By

Posted on: 10 October 2000 by Martin Payne
Jonathan,

the quality of the earthing to a Naim system seems to be very important to it's performance. Where practicable, a good quality earthing spike used in place of that provided by the electricity supply company should improve the performance of the system.

However, the earth is provided by the supply company for safety, not hifi. In the event of a fault in any item connected to the mains the earth circuit can end up carrying 240V at so much current that the fuse should blow. If there is a slightly poor connection on the earth rod it may not be able to sink enough current to cause this. Any metal item (e.g. washing machine) which has it's case connected to earth will now give you a possibly fatal 240V shock.

Just to really drive this home my electrician reckons that if your earth is better than the suppliers (and that's what you were aiming for in the first place) then a fault in someone else's house could send 240V into your earth circuit (and thus maybe even into your hi-fi).

As background, all of the current coming into your house on the live wire should return back on the neutral wire. If there is a small imbalance in these two current flows then this is because it's either flowing through the earth circuit (because of a wiring fault - e.g. spike through a mains cable) or through YOU. The RCD can detect quite small differences in these two current flows and will trip out very quickly.

For info this month's Russ Andrews catalogue lists a new RCD on the market which is pretty much designed with audio in mind, having much bigger and better internal components. I plan to use one of these when I install my spur & earth.

cheers, Martin

[This message was edited by Martin Payne on TUESDAY 10 October 2000 at 21:11.]