add sub woofer

Posted by: Ken Chang on 28 September 2000

I have 82/180/hicap and small speakers and use it to watch movie. Sometimes I need more bass and want a subwoofer (active one). Do I need special cable to connect from my 82 to the sub? How I should do it?
Posted on: 28 September 2000 by davidf
You need to connect from the output on the hicap to the sub. Though many on the naim forum have recommended direct hookup from the amp, thereby removing the need for the amp in the sub, the people at naim told me to connect to the power supply if the preamp uses one. What kind of sub do you want and what speakers do you use. david
Posted on: 28 September 2000 by Martin Payne
David,

I know someone who tried this connection method with a REL sub (low-level feed from unused output socket on preamp SuperCap). He said it recked the performance of the main system.

REL themselves recommend using a high-level input from the speaker sockets.

cheers, Martin

Posted on: 29 September 2000 by davidf
martin, I use linn`s new subwoofer (5150)and I connect it from the super. Maybe it is different form REL. I had spoken to Naim and they had recommended that the sub be connected to the supercap.
Posted on: 29 September 2000 by Martin Payne
David,

I'd be interested to know whether Naim's answer was 'if you must then this will have the least adverse effect' or 'yup, great idea'.

The only person I know who actually tried this (with a REL sub - could be a very different kettle of fish) said it had a very deleterious effect.

Any additional items plugged into a pre-amp or power supply (even a second Naim power amp) will adversely load the pre-amp output stages. I would also presume that the cable to your sub is much longer than the regulation SNAIC length.

cheers, Martin

Posted on: 29 September 2000 by davidf
Martin, Naim`s answer was more of the "it won`t make a big difference." The cable to the sub is quite long-about 15 ft. -david.
Posted on: 30 September 2000 by Ken Chang
I have Neat Petite on Target R4. I plan to use the sub for Movie only so I plan to spend not a lot of money. Currently I use 2 hicap , one connect to 180 , can I connect the other to the sub?
Posted on: 30 September 2000 by Martin Payne
No, you can't. No audio signal is present.

cheers, Martin

Posted on: 30 September 2000 by Eric Barry
?
Posted on: 30 September 2000 by Arye_Gur
I own a modest system then the number's one,
I see movies in a stereo mode with my IBL speakers - and I don't feel I miss something -
am I ????

Arie

Posted on: 01 October 2000 by Ken Chang
Sorry but I like my number. My neat is a mark I and I do not think it can be linked with the gravitas. Though it has enough bass for my music but not for a movie such as Armagedon or the likes. In conclusion , I should connect the sub via hicap ? Thank you for your respond.

P.S If i change my cd from Marantz CD12 to Naim CD such as CD3.5 , what I will gain and lose?

Posted on: 01 October 2000 by Ken Chang
I do not know that we must use our name.
Posted on: 01 October 2000 by P
....or is thread difficult to follow ?

Regards P.errrr?