disembodied floating heads, mmm-K

Posted by: Joe Petrik on 03 September 2000

OK, what have I done wrong?

I just moved from Canada to the U.S., looking forward to the improvement in performance I might get at my new digs. Unlike my previous room, which had a springy wooden floor, my listening room here has carpet on cement. The floor is as solid as any I've seen. In fact, it's so solid you can jump up and down on a pogo stick while juggling bowling balls right beside the turntable without it skipping a groove.

I've spent several hours setting up my system, doing all the usual stuff -- levelling the stands, levelling the shelves, carefully routing the wires so that signal and power cables don't touch -- but try as I might, I now have an image and soundstage. I've also got groove, slam and detail galore, but not without the distracting floating heads along the scale of Mr. Makkey's (sp?) from Southpark after his LSD trip.

If I had kept my 32.5 I could have switched it into mono, but I have a 102, so there's no provision for extra flat earth.

Any ideas?

Joe

Posted on: 03 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
Welcome to Middle Earth! My apartment also has a cement floor with carpet, so maybe that's why my system does the same thing. (Who said that Royd Sorcerers couldn't image well?)

Do you find that the sounds are often inappropriate, or do they seem to fit the scenario? For example, I find that classical records are usually quite realistic, although the soundstage tends to be back in the region of the speakers. Occasionally I'll hear an "object" coming closer to my listening position or unusually exaggerated in size, but this normally tends to be a trick of the recording and is rather rare. Most of the time I have a nice, sensible soundstage.

I suppose if you really can't learn to appreciate this realistic presentation you could always set your speakers right beside each other. Without the physical separation, you're not going to get much of a soundstage (although you'll still get some). That's the closest to mono that you're going to get with your 102.

Have fun in the 3-D world. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

P.S. Have you considered that maybe it's the geography of your locale that's affecting the sound. The London (Ontario) area is rather flat, and Manitoba is even flatter. In contrast, Kentucky is positively mountainous. Makes you wonder, huh?

Smilies do not a forum make.

[This message was edited by Mike Hanson on SUNDAY 03 September 2000 at 15:27.]

Posted on: 03 September 2000 by Joe Petrik
Mike,

Too many variables for me to blame the cement floor. But until I discover what's giving me the soundstage I'll dig out my Furtwangler LPs, all of which are recorded in sweet, sweet monophonic glory.

Joe

Posted on: 03 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
>> until I discover what's giving me the soundstage I'll dig out my Furtwangler LPs, all of which are recorded in sweet, sweet monophonic glory <<

Does that make you a sonic philistine? Have you never heard a live symphonic performance and experienced a real soundstage? That's the kind of imaging that pushes my buttons. Embrace the reality which is 3-D! You'll be a happier man for it. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 04 September 2000 by Joe Petrik
Mike,

Last year I had season's tickets for one of the concert series the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra was running. I heard a largish sound with some depth but still not approaching what you get with the big boy American gear. And I'm certainly not getting anything like that now, just more space than I'm used to.

Do you lose FEPs if you have a soundstage, or only if you prefer one?

Joe

Posted on: 04 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
I have to admit, I've come to the point where that exaggeratedly precise soundstage (à la American Hi-Fi) does disturb me. I used to think it was really neat, but now I'm just blasé about this alternative to fireworks. Sure it's fun for a while, but it soon pales beside the real emotional intensity that music can provide.

However, if the soundstage is realistic, it can heighten that sense of involvement. Although when it gets too extreme, it becomes a distraction. I guess that's what you're experiencing now (in a reletive sense). Well, good luck in your epic journey: "Return to Flat Earth". Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 05 September 2000 by Tony L
quote:
I've spent several hours setting up my system, doing all the usual stuff -- levelling the stands, levelling the shelves, carefully routing the wires so that signal and power cables don't touch -- but try as I might, I now have an image and soundstage.

God, I guess I have to come clean, my Kans image really well too. I just lie flat out on my coach and listen with one ear towards the hi-fi...

Tony.

Posted on: 05 September 2000 by Hammerhead
Tony Et-al,
So do you listen to your Beatles LP's twice - once to hear the drums/guitars, once to hear the vocals (after switching over left/right speaker cable)? No wonder you get through plenty of cartridges!

Steve