About CD Filters...

Posted by: Greg Beatty on 18 September 2000

OK...

I bought four pieces of 1/4 inch glass and placed CD3/72/hicap/140 each on their own spiked glass shelf. Result was very good but a tad bright and lean. So, I added a bit of compliance (DIY silicone squishies) under the CD player and the bass returned. WOO HOO!

But on to my question...

With the setup as described above, the top end is a tad overdone. I remembered that the CD input on my 72 supposedly has a filter for the CD signal. So, a swapped the CD3 over to the CD input and Viola! It was like three levels of Fatigue Factor were gone.

A bit of high-freq emphasis is gone, but in A-B ing, the setup is great going through the CD input. Presence, etc. all fine and classical works now :-))) My girlfriend noticed the difference and we easily enjoyed tunes late into the night even leaving a CD on to go to sleep to. Ahh...revealing and dynamic, yet smooth and ungrating.

So...which other Naim pre's - past, present, and near future - have the filter?

Oh, and I know - if I bought the expensive supports I might not need the filter. Possibly. Tho remember I'm running a (lowely) CD3 rather than the one of the upmarket (read: lot lower jitter/possibly cleaner) players.

I will also try adding a touch of compliance under the other three supports.

- GregB
Freedom is not in finding the Holy Grail but in stopping the search for it

[This message was edited by Greg Beatty on MONDAY 18 September 2000 at 16:30.]