NAP-500

Posted by: Bob Edwards on 07 October 2000

Gang--

Got to listen (again) to the NAP500 at my favorite hifi shop today, and it was one of those (very few) times where you instantly know something amazing is happening musically. My dealer was running a CDS2/52 and either 135s or the 500 into ProAc Response 5s. We have never been able to get the big ProAcs to sound right, even when running them with 4 135s. Swapping to the 500 instantly changed the character of the 5s from somewhat pinched and thin (Mike H--this is what you think SBLs sound like) to coherent, full, rich, detailed, and MUCH more tuneful. With the 500, the system became one of those where you wanted to hear CD after CD and completely lost track of time.

I have also heard the 500 running SBLs and to my ears a single 500 passive devastates active 135s--everything is just better.

My dealer is probably not overstating it when he says it is the single greatest component he has ever heard.

Props to Naim for designing and building it.

Cheers,

Bob

PS--the new CD5 and Nait 5 are almost as impressive--at their price. Amazing music for the money.Í

Posted on: 08 October 2000 by davidf
Hey bob, I thought you were going back to basics. I guess the 500 must be "basically" amazing! Why don`t you buy the 500, wait 6 months, sell it to me for half price and I`ll trade you my old style 250-then you will still be back to basics and I will be in heaven. david.
"Kan" you dig it?
Posted on: 08 October 2000 by Bob Edwards
David--

Actually, a 72/hicap/500 might just be the ultimate Kan system--the 500 is so good it is one of the exceptions to source first.

Cheers,

Bob+