Rack-free zones

Posted by: Graeme Cree on 31 August 2000

So say your gear is located on an 18" high plinth to the side of a chimney breast. Said plinth is totally isolated from floor (rear attached to outside wall, front to brick wall sunk through to foundations) and top is 3/4" chipboard covered in 1/2" Mexican clay tiles.

Equipment is (for argument's sake) CDX / 102 / HiCap / NAPSC / NAT03 / 135 / 135. Available space permits two low stacks of boxes, since no rack I've seen to date works visually in this context.

Q1. How would you stack the boxes ?
(Hint - currently left stack is Hicap / 135 / 135, right stack is CDX / NAT03 / 102) - top to bottom.)

Q2. Any views on putting an isolation platform (e.g. M*n* Soundstage or Base) under either / both stacks?

Musical issue is slightly heavy / bloated bass from Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II - it could do with tightening up.

Whatcha think team?

Graeme

Posted on: 02 September 2000 by Graeme Cree
Vuk,

Thanks for the note. Actually, my dealer has his CDS2 / 52 / six-pack in a rack fee zone as well, although he does have a M*na wall shelf for his LP12.

Notwithstanding the sacrilege of my approach, I note that the "Suggested Systems" area on the main Naim site aways seem to show front loading CD players at the bottom of the stack with the pre-amp at the top. I've got it the other way round. Is this significant or merely the way their photograper liked it?

I figure that having the power amps and PSUs in a separate stack away from the low-level stuff is a good idea. Indeed, I'm considering hiding them away in the cupboard below the plinth currently occupied by vinyl. It's not ventilated but I can't see that being a real issue.

Anyway, seeing that JW and the M*na folk are only 15 mins away from me I guess I could try out a Soundstage under the source stack for starters.

TTFN

Graeme

Just in case your rant on "cute names" was directed at me, many people in real life call me "GRC" and I've been using it as an electronic tag for years . . .

Posted on: 02 September 2000 by Rico
quote:
So say your gear is located on an 18" high plinth to the side of a chimney breast. Said plinth is totally isolated from floor (rear attached to outside wall, front to brick wall sunk through to foundations) and top is 3/4" chipboard covered in 1/2" Mexican clay tiles.

GRC - I think you'll find 3/4" chipboard covered in 1/2" Mexican clay tiles will very quickly deform & sag over time with the weight of said kit on it. If I understand correctly it's fixed on two edges... this is all undesireable at best.

My recommendation is to find a dealer that sells (say) Hutter, Quadraspire, Base, with some steel racks for comparision; and also get yourself a listen to Mana. Hell, even an old Soundstyle or Soundorg rack would probably wreak an improvement from your 'rack free zone'.

Good luck with your search!

Rico - musichead

ricomuzik@hotmail.com

quote:
Musical issue is slightly heavy / bloated bass from Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II - it could do with tightening up.

I'll leave it for someone else to comment on sorting out the Dynaudios... bloated bass? - how odd!

Posted on: 18 September 2000 by Graeme Cree
Rico old son,

The delights of this new forum software mean that I've only just seen your response.

Trust me - sagging is not an issue - the plinths are fixed on four sides with cross bracing underneath (wish I could say the same . . .).

I've tried Quadraspire and there was no discernable audio difference - and I don't like how it looks either.

I knocked up a prototype MDF / alloy rack (along Quadraspire lines but slimline and less obtrusive) and no improvement again.

So I figure the chipbord / clay tiles are actually quite inert and insulated.

I think I'll try a M*na Soundstage, as much out of curiousity as anything (and they're only 20 mins away from me).

Hutter looks very average to say the least (IMHO - I don't live in a loft conversion). Soundstyle / Sound Org don't make it through the door for audio or cosmetic reasons.

What I actually want is something that is virtually invisible. I've come to terms with the Naim look - hell - it's actually quite classy (not NAP500/ 5-Series / new logo) so I don't want to compromise it with something designed by a serial IKEA customer or a British Steel team-building day out.

On that note - which was an F - I bid you good night.

Graeme