William Orbit

Posted by: John Channing on 18 August 2000

Since the arrival of my CDX a few months ago I have spent a fair bit of time rediscovering some of my older CDs. One that has come under the puck a fair bit recently is Bassomatic's - Set the Controls for the Heart of the Bass. This is a great album and stills sounds fresh some 10 years on. I know that Orbit released quite a lot of material in the 90s is the rest of it any good? I saw a triple pack recently of the Cargo albums (1,2, and 3 I think) are they any good?
John
Posted on: 21 August 2000 by Rico
I still rate Set the controls for the heart of the bass very highly. Stumbled on it in a sale during my student days having heard it once on the local student radio station. Bassomatic didn't make much of a dent in NZ. A finely crafted album, particularly funky, cool samples. I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that a some of it predates Propellorheads by a good 7-8 years.

Don't know much else about Orbit's works (I guess everyone has heard Ray of Light by Madonna**), but would love to hear more... if you discover more do post.

** seen her new video with Ali G? Kickin' innit

Rico - musichead

ricomuzik@hotmail.com

Posted on: 01 September 2000 by Rico
Stefano

Glad to hear you found Berwick Street! What else did you include in your haul?

In answer to your question re pricing, it's all part of the adventure here. Only 18 months ago there was almost no difference or competition.

Rico - musichead

ricomuzik@hotmail.com

Posted on: 03 September 2000 by Kevin Hughes
quote:
Only 18 months ago there was almost no difference or competition.

I have always found a big price diff between the big shops and the indies, not noticed any real change recently.

Kevin.

Kevin.