Another Mana "Convert"

Posted by: Mike Hanson on 15 October 2000

I don't have much time to post this note. I just wanted to give you a quick report from the front. I've heard Vuk's system with the Mana Reference Table (a.k.a. Phase 2). Here are my basic observations.

When I first arrived, Vuk's P9 was on the Mana. Although I've heard his turntable a number of times, I don't feel confident enough to say that I know it well. Therefore, I couldn't positively determine if the Mana was boosting its performance. Instead, I concentrated on A/B comparisons with the CDX on and off Mana. I've heard the CDX many times in many different venues (and I own one, of course), so I do "know" this player.

BTW, my wife was also part of this experiment. As many of you know, she thinks we're all quite silly, fawning over our systems as we do. I was quite interested in seeing what her own perceptions would be, since she is a devoted stereo absenter.

We tested two tracks, one orchestral and one from U2 (Jill's choice). Each comparison was done first off then on the Mana table. In each case, the CDX off the Mana sounded like I expected a CDX to sound. It's a good player, but does get a little intense at times. The Mana did an amazing job of taming this, yet it didn't kill the music.

The level of improvement approached that of an XPS (albeit not quite). It's roughly equivalent in the areas of phrasing, distortion, control, definition, and realism. However, the XPS seems to do a better job in a few areas, and in particular, extending and solidifying the bass. Over all, I would say that Mana Reference Table provides 80% of the XPS's gains.

Even my wife (who doesn't care one bit) admitted to preferring the performance on Mana. Keep in mind that she's only recently admitted that my $20K Naim system is better than the $200 Panasonic midi system in the bedroom, so I believe this preference for Mana is significant.

Now that I've heard the "Mana Effect" with my own ears, my chosen upgrade path will involve the purchase of Mana before an XPS. I still expect to get an XPS at some point, but the Mana is a much cheaper first step.

However, I'm not yet a Mana fanatic. It's an impressive and worthwhile improvement, but I don't intend to trade-in my CDX for a Sansui player anytime soon. I realize that many of you will still feel that it's no big deal or that we're all overreacting. However, I'm not asking you to take my word for it. Go and try it for yourself... You just might be pleasantly surprised. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Smilies do not a forum make.

[This message was edited by Mike Hanson on MONDAY 16 October 2000 at 13:20.]

Posted on: 15 October 2000 by Don Braid
quote:
Go and try it for yourself… You just might be pleasantly surprised.

I haven't tried it, but I've ordered it. A five-tier Mana rack, designed with extra space between shelves, arrives in about wo weeks. I can't wait. (Vuk, your world-famous conversion on the road to Salisbury is responsible for this.)

Don

Posted on: 15 October 2000 by John
The Mana stand I think is a MUST for the CDX. In my comparison with the CDSII I believe the Mana resolves what the supsension system in the CDSII was partially resolving. I am curious on the sonic benefits of taking my 2 tier stand to phase II or maybe putting my XPS on a sound table.

John

Posted on: 16 October 2000 by Arye_Gur
Hi Mike and Vuk,

I feel sorry for Vuk's Cdx that goes thruoug tough a/b compares - off and on the mana table.

I think it is not a very good idea to do so while the Cdx is hot - it may damage some electrical
contacts.

Arie

(I'm sure Mana loves you for this...)

Posted on: 16 October 2000 by Mike Hanson
Vuk said:
quote:
Mike, can we go to the "new" new forum yet? I have just about had it with this one.

I've got someone working on it right now. I he gets his part done soon (enabling the remote administration and making the server accessible to the outside world), then I'll add the necessary forum areas and make sure it all works. Hopefully it will be later today. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 16 October 2000 by P
Hey , you guys christened me!

You can't leave!

On a serious note- will this new forum be available to all and sundry Mike?

Regards PR

The forum is intended as an eventual replacement for Infopoop. Once Naim sees that it's a viable alternative, I'm hoping they'll ditch these crummy digs and move shop. If not, it will be the "Unofficial Naim Forum", open to any who are interested. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 16 October 2000 by Bob Edwards
Mike--

As they say in my part of the country----

GO DOG GO !!

Cheers,

Bob

Well, the forum isn't going to be up today. I'll keep bugging the other guy tomorrow, but I'll be at a customer site for the rest of the week. I'll try to get it up this week in my spare time, but it may be next week before it's happening. Sorry for the delay boys & girls, but I have to do the paying jobs first. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 16 October 2000 by Arye_Gur
Vuk,

All I ment to say is that I think it is not a good idea to swing such an expensive equipment especially while it is hot.

You said once that you think it should be illegal
to sell a Cdx without a mana - that was enough to
understand what do you think about mana tables.

Arie

Posted on: 17 October 2000 by Greg Beatty
quote:

However, the XPS seems to do a better job in a few areas, and in particular, extending and solidifying the bass.

Humm...

I've noticed with my DIY glass supports (not as good as Mana, I know) that the use of glass lightens the bass considerably. I've read where others, using Mana, have had a similar experience.

I find that the CD3 is much lighter sounding than a CDX anyway and that the tonal balance of my CD3 can sound wrong, overall, with glass underneath. Its the kind of thing that screams "stereo" instead of "Real Thing."

When I switch back to MDF, the bass weight and proper balance return, but the end result is much less engaging. And I really don't want to spend $1,300 USD on a rack to end up with a light sound.

Any thoughts

- GregB
Freedom is not in finding the Holy Grail but in stopping the search for it

Posted on: 17 October 2000 by Mike Hanson
Greg,

I found that the Mana seemed to clean and tighten the bass that the CDX had, but it didn't extend it or add more body to the bass, which an XPS does do.

I would have to do many more comparisons (preferably with the Mana and XPS in the same room) to add more to my description. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-