Music Of The Week (Sunday 5 Nov 2000)

Posted by: Andrew Randle on 04 November 2000

My turn to start the thread - jet lag from Montreal is keeping me from sleeping.

Fila Brazillia - "A Touch of Cloth". This is not Latin American, but a fantastic fusion of Psychodelia and Acid House. Its like Tosca but much better. A big thanks to the Designer/MD of Living Voice loudspeakers for recommending this to me.

Peace Orchestra - Eponymous. Another recommendation from the Designer/MD of Living Voice. Trip-Hop sound with orchestral cues.

Supertramp - "Breakfast in America". Olden, but still golden. A classic for intelligent pop from 1979.

Barenaked Ladies - "Maroon". I had to buy something from the Ladies when I was in Montreal. Been a long-term fan of them since 1994 and mainstream success has not tarnished their record - Maroon is sufficient proof of that.

Laurence Jalbert - "Corridors". I've never met a woman called Laurence before - must be some kind of French/Quebec thing. Fantastic voice, great tunes and good lyrics (that is if you can understand French).

Andrew

Andrew Randle
2B || !2B;
4 ^ = ?;

Posted on: 04 November 2000 by Phil Barry
Beethoven' 5th Piano Concerto, 'Emperor', Kempff, Leitner, BPO
Posted on: 06 November 2000 by Tony L
Moby 'Play' - I've been meaning to buy this one for ages, and the recent shrewd marketing ploy to re-issue it in a nice box with an extra CD of B sides was enough to make me take the plunge. As probably everyone already knows, this is a great album, it is also very consistent. The 'B sides' CD is well worth having assuming you didn't buy all the 12" singles etc, stylistically a great deal of tracks hark back to old Moby classics such as 'Go'. If you don't already own this, the box version is definitely worth the extra couple of quid.

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci 'Blue Trees' - Thought I would take a gamble on this as I remember Matthew raving about their earlier album and it was only seven quid. This is a collection of purely acoustic songs which leans strongly towards folk, but is really good in spite of this. Good folk, always thought that to be an oxymoron. I may well land the earlier album.

Doves 'The man who told everything' - New Doves single, and a really nice remix or re-recording of one of the better tracks off the excellent 'Lost souls'. I managed to get on the blagging list for their gig at Liverpool's L2 on Friday night, stunning. These guys have such a catalogue of great songs, and can really play. Thoroughly good gig - catch them if you get the chance.

Tony.

Posted on: 06 November 2000 by John Schmidt
quote:
I had to buy something from the Ladies when I was in Montreal

Andrew,

Hope you liked your visit to Montreal, although strictly BNL are a Toronto band. That's OK, we forgive them.

So, did you find that CDs really are cheaper here? Are we North Americans hopeless whingers about the the price of CDs, just like we are about the price of gas?

Cheers,

John Schmidt
"95% of everything is crud" - Theodore Sturgeon

Posted on: 06 November 2000 by Pete
Sturgeon's Law is "90% of everything is crud", not 95%. Though I'm not saying your revised figure is necessarily inaccurate, even if the attribution is...

Pete.

Posted on: 06 November 2000 by Tony L
Where is Mr Benford? I can't believe he would go two weeks without buying a CD...

Tony.

Posted on: 06 November 2000 by Todd A
Erwin Schulhoff's works for violin and piano on Supraphon. The violin sonatas are a treat, the second truly being one of the finest of the 20th century. The other works are pleasant if not profound.
Posted on: 08 November 2000 by Joe Petrik
Tony wrote:

quote:
Where is Mr Benford? I can't believe he would go two weeks without buying a CD

I think Mr. B spent his allowance on a crate of Fuji Velvia. Good thing he bought the 500s before discovering Carl Zeiss lenses...

Joe

Posted on: 09 November 2000 by John Schmidt
Andrew,

Glad you liked Laurence Jalbert (a tres chic girl's name in Quebec BTW).

When I was trying to think of interesting Montreal/Quebec talent to suggest to you, I knew I was forgetting someone. It finally came to me last night - Rufus Wainwright. He's the son of one of the McGarrigle sisters (well known Canadian folkies whom I find a bit banal, but that's another story) and Loudon Wainwright. An amazing vocal range and an ecletic musical imagination. It's an odd description for a male vocalist, but I think sultry best describes the character of his voice. Well worth a listen if it's available in the UK.

Cheers,

John Schmidt
"95% of everything is crud" - Theodore Sturgeon

Posted on: 09 November 2000 by Jon Moxon
Ben Harper - Burn To Shine Generally disappointing.

Gomez - Shopping trolley...ermm...whatever Not sure about this as I've only listened to it a couple of times.

Bob Marley - Live is my record of the week.

JonM