Contact cleaning and solder

Posted by: hobiecat on 04 September 2000

Hi all guys,
for me this is the first post to this new forum.

I've a problem with mains and should like to have your advice. The mains wiring in my 9 floors building is 70 (!!!) years old and of course both
cables and connections are horribly degraded. I can access the connections which provide to serve each floor by means of derived cables from the common wire which run vertically through the floors. I should like to clean these connection as it is the only action I can take to improve the situation (the mains in my apartment has already been fully converted to "hi-fi grade" - separate spur, good sockets, etc). My question is: is a traditional spray contact cleaner (i.e. CRC) a good mean to clean these contacts? The effect should last for YEARS cause accessing to these connection is not an easy (nor a safe) matter, and, of course, the cleaner should not bring side-effects (such as undesiderable residual). Or is it better to use isopropil alcohol?

On a different issue, which brand of solder is suitable for high quality audio connections? In the past I've tried a certain number of solders and found - surprisingly for me - that different solders do make a difference to the sound, affecting timing, tune and timbre in a well audible manner! Thanks all and good listening!

Ciao,
Paolo

Posted on: 04 September 2000 by Steven Phee
I'm currently using WBT 0800 silver solder, made by this german company that specializes in connectors and sockets. Other audio-grade solders that I know are the famous wonder solder, siltech silver solder, monster silver solder and groneberg silver solder. I find the WBT one very good with excellent "wetting" properties, and yet very affordable.

cheers,
Steven

Posted on: 08 September 2000 by hobiecat
Steven,
thanks for your reply.

As for contact cleaning, has anybody of you any experience with Caig Deoxit - sound, persistence, side effects? I've tried a traditional contact cleaner some days ago with orrible results - hard, harsh sound(???)...

P.S.
As I posted earlier in this thread, I have no intention to clean the contacts in my system with any cleaning product - here uplugging and replugging connectors works perfectly. My problem is to clean heavyly oxidized and hardly accessible connections in a building-mains-system (hope you can understand, my english is not so good...).
Thanks.

best regards,
Paolo

[This message was edited by hobiecat on FRIDAY 08 September 2000 at 14:53.]