SBL - Gasket Kits

Posted by: Naheed on 19 September 2000

Once the sbls are dismantled, is a new gasket kit required, or should I hope that the soap I smeared allows the gasket the stay relatively intact.

By the way how strong is the sealant, mine seems welded I managed to lift both bottom/mid units without compromising the seal, and I didn't go overboard with the sealant ???

naheed...

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Jonathan Gorse
Naheed,

I suspect you might be able to reassemble the SBL's and reuse the old gasket after it's been cleaned thoroughly but in view of the fact that a gasket kit only costs a tenner and includes the silicone sealant, new aluminium plates etc why take the risk of compromising sound?

If I were you I'd get a new kit.

Jonathan

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Jeb
I bought a pair of SBLs on Ebay. I replaced the gaskets - you should do the same.

Its not that hard and it pays. Don't move the speakers after you have selaed them up. If you must, do it very careful from the bottom only.

Also, make sure the tweater box is separated from the woofer box when you tighen the supports - put a piece of cardboard in there.

Sorry, you probably know all this already.

Steven

Posted on: 20 September 2000 by Naheed
Thanks Guys, I used a new kit but just wanted to know if teardown/rebuild was an idea - but at £12 i think i'll keep a spare one handy...

naheed...