Music of the Week (28/12/00)

Posted by: John Channing on 28 December 2000

Ok, it is time I contributed something here again.
Agnelli and Nelson - Hudson St
Brilliant album of uplifting house. Maybe a bit cheesy for some but tracks like "Embrace" and "Everyday" put a huge grin on my face everytime I listen to them.
Roni Size - In the Mode
Very obviously has the Size trade mark stamped all over it but harder and rougher than the last effort "New Forms". I like it a lot and it is one of the few D&B albums I have got where I can listen to it from start to finish in one go.
The Beatles - 1
A good selection of tracks that have been very well mastered. What surprised me most was the length of most of the tracks, 3 minutes or less was the norm back then, but now we expect at least twice that long.
Coldplay - Parachutes
What can I say that hasn't been said before? Great recording and great music, you need a copy!
Faithless - Back to Mine
Absolutely superb down tempo compilation featuring some brilliant tracks, by among others, Dido, Dusted, Sub Sub, and Shinehead. I For me this is certainly preferable to the recent Groove Armada BTM.

Music is the answer.

Posted on: 29 December 2000 by John C
A Mountain of Christmas disc's, but new Naim system causing confusion and consternation, can all my old CDs sound so different??

Sam Rivers (Mosaic, Complete Blue Note Sessions)
New to me and a revelation as all this post bop stuff is, and one of my favourite periods in jazz)Excellent all, but especially Fuschia Swing Song.

Complete Blue Note Lee Morgan ( again Mosaic, in-laws presented with list). The music is startling as always. If any of you are considering Mosaic stuff: the packaging, delivery, liner notes are outstanding and make the price well worthwhile and the stunning photos of Francis Woolff beautiful. The pictures of an 18-19 year old Morgan bring home the extraordinary genius of these guys.

I got other Mosaics but they are unheard due to temorary LP indisposisition.(read ..afraid to use old project with dodgy needle or whatever its called, Is there a school for novices?)

Johnny Cash American Recordinngs (iii)Frail of voice now, and never was a songbird but the soul comin through still.Great to hear him do a version of The Mercy Seat.

Guy Clark Old No1 and Texas Cookin', Double Cd for 9.99, in Virgin. You can keep your badly drawn boys this is monumental poetry. By way of (contrived) controversy there has been no British songwriter in the same class, Ray Davis 'n all.God bless America! Next week how I came to love Merle Haggard and cried.

Last word, an old favourite transformed: Sorry for going on, I havent had a real Hifi before. Van Morrison 'Astral Weeks' The single greatest musical recording of all time.

John (the Hyperbolous)

Posted on: 29 December 2000 by glenda
Mucho agreement re Johnny Cash - what a cracker - especially as the original is total pants!!
Best of the rest - I bought a John Martyn collectors album at Our Price for £7 in a sale , the OST for "Welcome to Sarajevo" for £1 and a Roy Harper retro for £3 . I tried to tell the assistant that it was worth at least £12 but she wouldn't have it .
I would also recommend - Itsjoanddanny - Lank Haired Girl to Bearded Boy - the best album you've never heard of !!I bet you woud love it ,John C - if you don't , I'll refund your money. Cheers - Tony (Only the sea makes sense)

[This message was edited by tony clark on SATURDAY 30 December 2000 at 00:44.]

[This message was edited by tony clark on SATURDAY 30 December 2000 at 00:45.]

[This message was edited by tony clark on SATURDAY 30 December 2000 at 00:47.]

Posted on: 02 January 2001 by Tony L
The Magnetic Fields '69 love songs' - Epic three CD set of good honest home made songs. This set has a certain air of Leonard Cohen sings DIY country. There is a lot the fabulous honesty, simplicity, and humour of the first five Baby Bird low budget solo four track album releases (which should be considered essential if you can find 'em). This is a really good and remarkably brave album, and one that given the weight of content will repay much investigation. I love it when someone comes along that is so prolific and confident in their song writing that they can afford to release stuff in pretty much sketch form - Baby Bird all over again?

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci 'Spanish dance troop' - Liberated from the Virgin Records sale for 6.99 (they also have the first two Eels albums at the same price, grab them if you don't have them already). One of Matthew's favourites if I recall correctly. Gorky's appear to be Welsh for some reason, and produce a blend of indie / country / folk / psychedelica sort of stuff. Sounds like a great album based on the couple of listens it has received so far.

Tony.

Posted on: 02 January 2001 by Andrew Randle
Here's my new CD:

The Divine Comedy "fin de siecle" - A superb disk that includes the radio single 'National Express'. Well written, well performed. At times very tongue-in-cheek (National Express, Generation Sex) and very poignant at other times (Sunrise, Here Comes the Flood). Neil Hannon (lead singer and songwriter) has a fantastic voice too.

Andrew

Andrew Randle
2B || !2B;
4 ^ = ?;