Oregon In Moscow

Posted by: fred simon on 18 September 2000

The new Oregon release, Oregon In Moscow, is as beautiful and profound an album as I have ever heard, and certainly one of Oregon's best. The group (Ralph Towner - guitar and piano, Paul McCandless - woodwinds, Glen Moore - bass, and Mark Walker - drums and percussion) and producer Steve Rodby have assembled a monumental work of art.

A two CD set recorded by Rich Breen in (duh) Moscow with the Moscow Tchaikovsky Symphony Orchestra, this is a stunning achievement from every standpoint: composition, orchestration, performance, improvisation, production, and recording. Even the packaging is stellar. The two chief composers, Ralph Towner and Paul McCandless, wrote their own orchestrations and the results are sublime, by turns achingly gorgeous and stirring. Programming varies widely, including Oregon with orchestra, alone as a quartet, guitar and woodwind duo, and solo bass. And there's a perfect balance between older familiar material and new compositions.

In a way, this may be the quintessential Oregon album, in spite of the fact that it's their first album with orchestra, because all the orchestral implications of Oregon's music through the years have now been fully realized here, and brilliantly so.

I strongly urge anyone interested in intelligent, moving, beautiful, and artistic music to get this album and give it several spins.

Posted on: 11 October 2000 by fred simon
I'm a little surprised no one has responded. This is a major work of art, great joy and beauty.

Anyone?

Posted on: 12 October 2000 by Pete
Only been scanning the forum a little (haven't looked at the Hifi bit at all, so at least I've got my priorites right) because I still think the software's too awful to get back to being a regular, so I missed the first post and will look it up.

In the meatime, check out Ralph T. with Eddie Gomez and Bill Bruford on BB's "If Summer Had Its Ghosts", DGM9705.

Pete.

Posted on: 09 November 2000 by fred simon
It's funny ... I really would have thought that this wonderful album would be just the type of thing folks on this board would go for. I ran into Ken Christianson recently and he was raving about it. In fact, anyone I've turned on to this record has fallen head over heels for it ... some of their comments: "a masterpiece," "breathtakingly beautiful," "I can't believe what I'm hearing. It's like heaven music," "This album is simply their best and most ambitious effort to date."

Believe me, I'm not a shill for anyone, just a friend of the band who wants the whole world to know this incredible music.

Posted on: 24 December 2000 by philip rubin
I am new to the forum and was looking at some old threads. I came across your recommendation of this release. Based upon your passionate review I recently bought the cd. If you like Oregon, Methany et. al. with a classical mix this release is required listening and should be part of your collection. I agree with all of your observations. I am partial to jazz of 50's and 60's although I do like some fusion. I find it hard to find recent artists and releases that move me the way jazz pre 1970 does. This cd however, is beautiful music and gives me hope that I can listen to music that has not been recorded 30 years ago. Fred, thanks for the recommendation and I will have to check out your latest release.
Posted on: 25 December 2000 by Nigel Cavendish
quote:
It's funny ... I really would have thought that this wonderful album would be just the type of thing folks on this board would go for.

Why would you assume that (a) people would have heard it (I have never heard of it) or (b) naim forum contributors would necessarily like it?

cheers

Nigel

Posted on: 28 December 2000 by Pete
How about he thinks it's very good, therefore we'd quite probably like it, and because it's very good, and we have impeccable taste, we may well already know about it...

Pete.

Posted on: 29 December 2000 by fred simon
Nigel Cavendish wrote:
quote:
Why would you assume that (a) people would have heard it (I have never heard of it) or (b) naim forum contributors would necessarily like it?

I meant to write: "I really would have thought that this wonderful album would be just the type of thing folks on this board would go for, except for Nigel Cavendish."

But seriously, I don't recall ever being taken to task for giving folks too much credit. I assumed that contributors to this forum, in general, had broader, more sophisticated tastes, more open minds, more adventurous spirits, and were more intellectually curious. I assumed that they might have heard of Oregon because the group has been at the forefront of jazz/classical/world music for over 30 years, and its members among the very highest caliber players and composers. I assumed some folks might have checked out Oregon In Moscow as a result of either my recommendation posted back in September, my choice of it as album of the year in that thread on this forum (if it can, that is, even be seen through the forest of Radiohead posts ... not that there's anything wrong with that), or due to the glowing reviews and strong word of mouth the album has received since its release.

I apologize if I assumed too much.