Did You Know That.....

Posted by: Doug Graham on 19 September 2000

David Bowie Cd's are now available in 24bit remasters. Jolly good some of them are too. Cos I've not heard them all.

Later

Doug

Posted on: 19 September 2000 by Tony L
quote:
David Bowie Cd's are now available in 24bit remasters. Jolly good some of them are too. Cos I've not heard them all.

Which have you tried, and how do they stack up against the original vinyl. I have just about everything on original pressing "orange label" RCA vinyl, though some definitely sound better than others. I bought the recent EMI centenary vinyl re-issue of 'Aladin Sane', and felt it was better in some areas and worse in others compared to my original pressing. It sounded like it had been quite dramatically re-eq'd, much brighter, tighter and leaner than the original, though a bit iffy in the top end.

Tony.

Posted on: 20 September 2000 by Chris Metcalfe
My favourite (the only Bowie one I've got) is 'Station to Station', and very detailed it is too.

Also recently out on 24-bit remastered CD are all CDs by The Band with bonus tracks (just got 'Cahoots' with the brilliant 'Life Is A Carnival') , and the Beach Boys' early 1970s LPs including, most importantly, what could be some people's Desert Island CD, a coupling of 'Sunflower' and 'Surf's Up'. No bonus tracks though, and the planned 'Rarities' CD has now been canned by the look of it. Shame.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that, given the choice, HDCD wins over 24-bit in the emotion stakes? All these 24-bit jobs seem to have acres of detail but somehow sound, erm, cleaned up....

Posted on: 20 September 2000 by Rico
The Roxy Music re-masters (bonus HDCD) that were released around xmas last year have been available now for some time in conventional jewel-case packaging for bargain prices (around a fiver).

The ones I have sound pretty darn good to me, although I don't have any original vinyl or even old cd copies to compare them with.

Rico - musichead

ricomuzik@hotmail.com