Nait 5 finally arrived

Posted by: Todd A on 05 September 2000

After almost 10 weeks, my Nait 5 arrived last Friday, and, well, it was worth the wait. It took until about Sunday evening for it to start to sound really good, and I'm sure I have another day or so of break in, but the improvements over my Arcam (hey, I'm still young and poor) are major indeed. I can really hear what my CD3.5 can do now.

Let’s see, it’s clean, clear, extremely detailed, and fast, fast, fast. The bass performance actually improved with fewer watts, as well. And it can easily play loud enough. Easily. Of course I use easy to drive Monitors. It may not be able to drive some big American speakers well, but then, who cares. The only downside to the Nait is that it is somewhat unforgiving of bad recordings. If a recording is too bright, you’ll know it. And even soundstaging improved, regardless of one’s opinion about its existence or relevance. That’s not as important for me as the other aspects, but it’s nice to have anyway.

Naim may have done such a good job with the Nait that they may have lost future upgrade sales. Aside from the FlatCap2 I will be buying in a few months I may not buy anything until I can afford to really upgrade, to, let’s say, a CDX/82/250, or something in that range. Of course, I can’t be sure of the NAC112 / NAP170 combo until I hear it . . .

Posted on: 05 September 2000 by Simon Jenkins
Hi Todd,

Glad your enjoying the Nait. I have found my CD5 to show the same characteristics, fast etc.

Guess it's a feature of the 5 series.

It should be interesting to hear the rest of it as and when it comes out.

Simon