Schubert's 2nd

Posted by: Keith Mattox on 20 November 2000

My ladyfriend's young daughter is quite taken with the classical music that we've exposed her to and we'd like to get her a few items for Christmas that would extend her interest.

I'd like to get her a good recording of Schubert's 2nd, as, although it may not be a top-tier work, it does have a fetching youthful enthusiasm that will mean something to a girl at the age of nine.

Can anyone recommend a good CD of this symphony? If it matters, its playing time will be split between our main system and her $60 boombox

Also, can anyone recommend any other recordings for a budding fan at that age, or even a book?

Cheers

Keith.

ex-audiophile

Posted on: 21 November 2000 by Todd A
I have a four year old and he is rather fond of a few pieces of music. He likes Eine Kleine Nactmusik quite a bit, and he likes Rimsky-Korsakov's Cappriccio Espagnol. You may try to find a disc with that and the Flight of the Bumblebee, a guaranteed child's favorite. My kid calls it the "bumblebee song." I can't really recommend any specific recordings, though.

Schubert is a great choice, and I second Ross's choice of the 5th and 6th. I recommend Beecham's disc with those, along with an energetic 3rd on EMI. (I believe it is now a "Great Recording of the Century.")

Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 is also good choice. It has speed and energy and is quite brief. Either the piano version (Cziffra or Szidon) or the orchestral version (too numerous to list) would do it.

As an aside, I don't know whether I should be worried or not, but my son likes Mahler's 1st - especially the third movement! - and the Landler from Mahler's 9th. And he even sort of likes a few Bartok pieces.

Posted on: 21 November 2000 by Stewart Cooper
Keith,

Some good suggestions above, I think. Vuk's kid(s) will either be exceptionally precocious or receive full time attention from Dr Pellizari.

A few other suggestions off the top of my head: Britten's, Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra. Prokof iev's Peter and the Wolf. And the Willcocks version of the Faure Requiem - particularly at Christmas perhaps.

Stewart.

[This message was edited by Stewart Cooper on TUESDAY 21 November 2000 at 20:06.]

Posted on: 05 December 2000 by Keith Mattox
Thanks gents. I look forward to taking your advice to good use.

Cheers

Keith.

ex-audiophile

Posted on: 02 January 2001 by Keith Mattox
quote:
p.s. Keith, if you are still reading, don't forget the old chestnut of Disney's Fantasia as a good way to introduce them to a good range of classical stuff

Still reading, thanks for the note. The whole family has "The Fantasia Collection" on DVD this Christmas, just as much for me as for them. They also got a kick out of listening to my parents' old recordings (on vinyl, 'course) of "Peter and the Wolf".

I ended up getting Harnancourt's (sp?) Schubert 2nd and 6th, Karajan Holst's The Planets, and the Rossini Overtures. She likes them all, "Mars" particularly - sonic fireworks are addictive to a nine-year old (and a 39-year old also!).

Cheers

Keith.

ex-audiophile

Posted on: 11 January 2001 by ken c
i am not sure when i got this album, but rediscivered it recently in my collection. oh, my...

to schubert afficionado's out there, are there similar ones out there that i should consider. the copy i have is on philips, with the vienna chorus and vienna symphony orchestra...

enjoy...

ken