A "check list" for sound quality

Posted by: Arye_Gur on 20 September 2000

I think the right way to judge the sound quality is only by the impression the listener gets and by the level of pleasure he feels while listening.

Members at the forum think they can judge the quality sound by details like PRaT and more -
the kind of bass, treble etc.

I wonder if you can give a table or a "check list" that describes to what deatails you pay attention while examine sound quality - and maybe with some examples of records that can be followed by.

Posted on: 20 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
As you've already pointed out, there are many different ways to "measure" the performance of stereo equipment. The problem with using "pleasure" as the only guage is that it varies depending on your own mood. By breaking it down into smaller bits, it becomes easier to be objective on at least a few smaller fronts, even if you're having a bad day overall.

For me, the concept of PRaT directly relates to personal excitement. Associated with that is musical flow, phrasing, the ability to hear "into" the performance, the interaction of the musicians, etc.

I also consider things like tonal response, depth of bass, smoothness of treble, harshness, etc.

Then there's soundstage, focus, imaging, etc. (Notice that this came last, although it is still on the list.)

I've got many different recordings that I use to test system, and this list changes on a constant basis. Each of us must decide which elements are important to us, then decide which of our familiar recordings best tests each of those traits. After all of these, each of us will decide which system sounds "right" for us. End of story. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Smilies do not a forum make.

Posted on: 21 September 2000 by Arye_Gur
Mike Hanson ,

First I'm going to give up the subject - I feel like a nagger.

I'm agree with anything you say - but yet I don't think it's right to judge this way and I want to tell you something out of my experience.

I did stop examining stereo systems several years ago when I decided that I buy only Naim equipment
because I think it is the best equipment I can get in Israel.

It happens that I go to the dealer to hear music
when I want to listen to something new or when a friend wants to buy something good and asks me to take him to Naim dealer.

Several years ago, the dealer asked me to listen
to a new pre maybe 102 I don't remember name of parts and he let me listen to a cello was recorded by Naim.

It was so great - at the end I wanted to applause
I realy felt a great need to applause (I didn't ..). No drums, No bits, No treble - no bass
nothing you can measure the way you suggest - but I know for sure - if a music driven out of such a system can bring me such a great pleasure - this is the system I want and I don't care about all the other aspects.

I'm sure that my brain and hearing system evaluates automaticly for me all the aspects you are describing and translates this aspects automaticly to me by giving me amount of pleasure. The better the aspects are - the greater the pleasure I feel.

That's all - nothing more or less - that's my opinion and this is how I feel.

Arie

Posted on: 21 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
If you can determine whether you're happy with a piece of equipment purely on the basis of your emotional response, then that's OK. I prefer breaking it down into a few more-specific measurements, which is also OK. When we're done, we each end up with a system that plays music in a satisfying fashion. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Smilies do not a forum make.