Back to basics !

Posted by: Bob Edwards on 03 October 2000

Hey all---

Does anyone else ever look back at when we started out--with a LP12, Nait 1 and Kans or variations on the above--and wonder if it all wasn't more fun that way ? I have swapped email with a couple folks who seem to agree and am curious if anyone else feels that way.

The system I have now is infinitely (hyperbole alert !) better than my first system, and when I play records it is great, but I am considering chucking the whole thing and going back to a much simpler systemm--getting back to basics, if you will.

Comments//discussion ?

BobČ

Posted on: 04 October 2000 by Arye_Gur
Hi Bob Edwards ,

I think the stereo system is a "medium" (I hope it is the right word)to hear music at home.
The better the system the greater the enjoyment.

I don't think anyone should relate the system in an other way, I find it quite similar to the question - do you want money because you like money or because you like the things you can do with money ?

So unless I have possibility to improve my system
I don't care about it or about the history of it
all I care is that it will play music the right way when I wish it to play.

Arie

Posted on: 04 October 2000 by Michael Dale
I too had fond memories of my Arcam Alpha/ nait 2/ Epos es11's system. From memory this system did something really special and captivating which I thought perhaps I had lost somewhere along the upgrade path. So I got the entire system back for a couple of days from my friend to find out for sure.

I think my ears have become far more finely tuned over the years, as I could see what I loved about this system when I owned it originally i.e. it plays music very well indeed for 1500 quid. But there is no way I could go back to it. I spend a lot of time in recording studios sat in front of desks and monitors tweeking the sound so we're happy with it. I used to hate coming home and playing it on the nait/epos set up cos it just missed so much out, weight, grip,even the timing could be a bit hit and miss when the music got really busy. So it was this frustration which led me to the upgrade ladder, and it's taken a good few years, but now I have a system which reveals how well we did at getting it right in the studio because it does stuff better than nearly every pro studio monitor set-up that I've heard.

It is because of this revealling quality that most engineers and producers (not naming names) won't entertain the idea of buying a decent hifi.
They're gonna hear every bad punch in/ punch out they did in the middle of a vocal or guitar track, they are also gonna hear all the horrible de-esser that was applied to the vocal because they compressed it so much that it became really sibilant.... all this and more, but if thats whats on the record then I want to hear it.

I think perhaps we look back on our starter systems with happy memories because it's where it all started and its what got us more into music. I loved my 1982 X reg blue mini. It was my first car and it went round corners really well. But I wouldn't have another.

Posted on: 04 October 2000 by Rico
I often think abou this, and know a few people that have gone back to a classic system - 'downgraded'.

I would encourage all CDSII and 52 owners to strongly evaluate this move and act. I might then (somewhat charitably) snap up your unwanted top-flight kit.

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 04 October 2000 by bob atherton
Bob,

I used to think back fondly to my first decent system. Back in 1973 I had LP12, Harrison Chapman amp ( one of the fist amps with toroid transformer ) & Studiocraft speakers. This system really kicked.

Music was my whole life then, playing in a band as well, & it has only been in the past few months that I can honestly say that I have a system that I am enjoying more than that one.

What did it for me was going active with my IBL's. I will try not to get on my soap box and preach the virtues of active. It's just that albums that I bought back in '73, for the first time since then, I am actually enjoying more. I put this down to having to spend a great deal of money on a very good system to penetrate my hardened senses.

As I have other things in my life now like wife, children, career, mortgage etc: etc: I think it takes a far greater 'hit' to get to ones soul. I'm fairly confident if I were much younger without a care in the world a far more modest system would totally blow me away.

B

[This message was edited by bob atherton on WEDNESDAY 04 October 2000 at 11:46.

[This message was edited by bob atherton on WEDNESDAY 04 October 2000 at 13:30.]

Posted on: 04 October 2000 by Frank Abela
That I also lose 20 years, gaining back my head hair and losing about 5 stone (70 lbs, or 32kg) in the process...

Otherwise, I'll stick with what I've got now thanks.

Regards,
Frank.

Posted on: 04 October 2000 by Tony L
quote:
Does anyone else ever look back at when we started out--with a LP12, Nait 1 and Kans or variations on the above--and wonder if it all wasn't more fun that way ?

Very often, and to the point where I have ended up with a system that is actually a more polished version of the above.

My old Xerxes / Onix OA21 / Kan IIs offered unbelievable musical value for what it cost when I bought it in 1986/7. After a few misguided upgrade attempts to attain a "full range" sound I'm now back with Kans - to my ears bigger now almost always means less fun - definitely in my price range.

I am now very happy with my P9 / CD17KI / 32-5 / Hicap / 135 / Kan IIs - very similar in concept and overall strengths to both the above systems, just far more detailed, refined, and powerful. I am also a firm believer in the law of diminishing returns, though everyone draws their own line as to where it kicks in, for me it is actually quite low.

Tony.

Posted on: 04 October 2000 by Don Braid
quote:
I might then (somewhat charitably) snap up your unwanted top-flight kit.

Not if I get there first, Rico.

I had a moment of audio nostalgia recently when I set up a Nait 2 with B&W 302 speakers for a newbie friend. I was simply astonished at how good the system was, and had a moment of questioning whether I was nuts to upgrade from my originnal Nait to CDX/52/250. Then I went home and listened to it. I don't see how anybody would choose to return to ground zero based on the sole criterion of sound. Finances - now, that's another matter.

Don

Posted on: 04 October 2000 by P
Message to Mike Dale

Cool Post

Thats all

Regards P.- man of mystery and suspense (it's a colonial thing it seems .I'm not referring to irrigation)

[This message was edited by Pierre on WEDNESDAY 04 October 2000 at 20:08.]

Posted on: 05 October 2000 by woodface
Harking back to systems past is all about nostalgia really. If your current system is not better sounding then why? Probably a combination of the hi-fi press and poor dealer advice! I generally home dem before purchase and have not once not bought the said piece of kit! I would never dream going back to my old kit, back then I had a crummy job and no money! However, if at the time I was going with a supermodel, had lots of cash etc then I would probably look back with fond yearning.
Posted on: 05 October 2000 by David O'Higgins
I'm sure all of us have experienced the 'before and after' effect of a significant upgrade and the fascination of re-hearing old favourites as though they were new. This is not imagined. Of course, as time goes by we become accustomed to the new setup and the 'surprise' element fades. This does not mean that the change was not for the better, nor that moving in reverse might put the money back in your pocket with no impact on the enjoyment of the music.

I recall 10 years on the impact of moving from Ittok to Ekos for example; the progression through 1 and 2 Hi Caps to Supercap provided a similar experience. There is no way that I would accept a move in the opposite direction.

Posted on: 05 October 2000 by Greg Beatty
In my younger days, I would "blast" the stereo and it was really quite a "trip". A record was a journey and I had memorized most of my collection due to repeated playings.

Better kit should make this a better, fuller trip. If not, or if your not getting the trip at all (that is, you sit there and listen for each new element - just to see how the kit will render it), why bother?

Of course, you could bother just from the hobbiest end of it, but that's not my bag. For me, the kit is a means to an end :

- GregB
Freedom is not in finding the Holy Grail but in stopping the search for it

Posted on: 06 October 2000 by Nic Peeling
My problem was focussing too much on the boxes and not enough on other aspects of the system. I ended up having spent a lot of money and ending up with a system I did not really like. High end equipment from manufacturers such as Naim are so revealing that they make any problems very evident. It was only when I sorted out the supports and put in a separate main spur that I suddenly had a system that I was enjoying as much as (my much cheaper) second system (which had good supports and a separate mains spur).

I do not have a Naim CD player in the expensive system and so tried an expensive interconnect recently (Nordost Red Dawn). It was much better than my current Blue Heaven ... much more detailed. Interstingly I thought "who needs it", its already a great system and I did not buy it. Hi-Fi, I can handle it.

Nic P

Posted on: 08 October 2000 by Bob Edwards
Gang--

I am going to try going back to a 72/Hicap/250/Kans to see if I can stand it---will report back. I already know the sound won't be as good, I am interested in just getting back to the point where I can't wait to pick up new music and anxiously waited for the next cool release.

See you all in the asylum !

Cheers,

Bob?

Posted on: 18 October 2000 by Greg Beatty
quote:

So here I am with a downgraded system. Pair of home-brew Monoblocks (not 135-alikes), Three of my PSUs, a 62 a Prefix, a modded LP12/Prefix/Home-brew TT PSU and some Isobariks

*Cough*

Monoblocks? THREE PSUs??? Briks???

And you forgot to mention the umpteen levels of Mana.

C'mon - when are you gonna *REALLY* downgrade.

I KNOW you are up to it...

- GregB
[Still reading about TF's escapades with genuine interest]

Posted on: 18 October 2000 by Tony L
Where the heck has TF's post gone? Best find it quick or he'll form a conspiracy theory.

Tony.

Posted on: 18 October 2000 by Rico
...and mine! I was well pissed when I lost a new post - Infopoop's server spat the dummy while I was posting. What a compound waste of everyone's time!

Roll on Mike's alternative. Mean time, keep posting, gang, and don't toss your toys...

Rico - musichead

Posted on: 18 October 2000 by Greg Beatty
About that missing post by TF...

...now my reply looks a little goofy. Oh well. At least I quoted the important bit

And, Omer, I agree with you about mindset. Some of us, well, me anyway, has trouble forgetting about the hi-fi when the kit costs so much and is an object of obsession. I mean, we (collectively, and exclude yourself if you want) worry about whether the CDX sounds better with our without 3M pads under the feet. With this mindset, how can we possibly forget the hi-fi and just enjoy music?

Sure, it happens sometimes - and there is 'evaluation time' and 'listening time'. But I bet many of us spend *a lot* of time evaluating and have a hard time turning that off and just enjoying music. A downgraded system can be easier to get along with in this regard. But this is all very personal psychological stuff.

I hope those with 52s, CDSIIs, and NAP500s can just enjoy the music their wonderful kit provides

- GregB
Freedom is not in finding the Holy Grail but in stopping the search for it