Size of screen for projector

Posted by: Jonathan on 08 December 2004

Ive just purchased a Mitsubishi HC900 projector - I will project onto a wall thats about 4.5 metres across in total. I would appreciate some advice as to the appropriate size of screen. I was thinking of 3 metres across to get the full movie/16:9 effect - is this appropriate?

Thanks

Jonathan
Posted on: 08 December 2004 by Allan Probin
How far away from the screen will you be sitting ?

As a rough guide, you probably want to be seated at a distance away from the screen that is somewhere between 1.5 and 2 times the width of the screen. So, if you have a fixed distance you are working with and trying to calculate the screen size, divide this distance by 1.5 and by 2 and this will give you a range of screen width to aim for.

This can get complcated though by limitations of the projector such as brightness, resolution, throw-ratio and a suitable position on the ceiling to mount the projector.

Start with the results of the 1.5 to 2 screen widths rule to get an initial result for screen width and then see if the projector can display an image that size from your intended mounting position.

Allan
Posted on: 08 December 2004 by John G.
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan:
I would appreciate some advice as to the appropriate size of screen. I was thinking of 3 metres across to get the full movie/16:9 effect - is this appropriate?

Thanks

Jonathan

I found this helpful:

viewing distance calculator
Posted on: 09 December 2004 by Jonathan
Thanks for the tip - I sit about 4 metres away, so a 2.5 m screen looks about right

Jonathan
Posted on: 10 December 2004 by Frank Abela
The problem with the viewing distance calculator is that it doesn't take into account the actual projector. Different lenses have different throw-rates. For example the Sharp 200E and 201E are exactly the same projector but one has a wide angle lens for shorter throw.

Look in the manual for the Mitsubishi - it should give you information on this.

Regards,
Frank.
All opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinion of any organisations I work for, except where this is stated explicitly.
Posted on: 10 December 2004 by John G.
I think the purpose of the viewing distance calculator is to determine the correct size screen to choose based on the distance you were planning on sitting from the screen. Ideally you want a 26 to 35 degree viewing angle. This is one part of a home theatre I would try to get right if you're looking to maximize enjoyment.
Posted on: 11 December 2004 by blythe
Hang up a white sheet that's oversize, then experiment with the projector position and size of picture against the sheet. When you feel comforatble with the size and position of the picture, measure it up, then buy your screen.
I initially made a mistake and ordered the wrong screen before experimenting. Luckily I was able to change my order before the screen was dispatched.......

Computers are supposed to work on 1's and 0's - in other words "Yes" or "No" - why does mine frequently say "Maybe"?......
Posted on: 11 December 2004 by o.j.
Jonathan!the exact size of a screen measures
1:1,85 relation horizontal screenwidth (n o t diagonal) to distance of your looking place this is the typical angle human eyes
can see.
as examples: two meters screenwith is perfect
if you are sitting 3,7 meters away.
sitting away 3meters means 1,62 meters picture width.
Bigger screens are possible but be warned that
it is not that easy for the human eye to follow that fast vertical movements on a sreen, because
in" normal live"we are used to use our eyes most time "horizontal"
So if you sit near infront of an screen whichs
vertikal measurement is very big in relation to
distance of your place,you have to follow an vertical movement "faster" a n d in a more far angle.
(hope my english is that"bearable" that you can follow what i wrote (wanted to write)
O.J
Posted on: 11 December 2004 by o.j.
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Abela:
The problem with the viewing distance calculator is that it doesn't take into account the actual projector. Different lenses have different throw-rates. For example the Sharp 200E and 201E are exactly the same projector but one has a wide angle lens for shorter throw.

Look in the manual for the Mitsubishi - it should give you information on this.

Regards,
Frank.
_All opinions are my own and do not reflect the opinion of any organisations I work for, except where this is stated explicitly._
Frank!i do not understand that,because
the different lenses influence only the position of the beamer in relation to the wall(screen)but does not make any difference on the picture ,except the circumstance that the light quantity can be (maybe)different.
O.J.
Posted on: 12 December 2004 by Jonathan
OJ

Understood - I was being tempted to go for a 3 metre wide screen, but given your (and the other comments/suggestions) 2.5 will be better given my seating location.

Cheers

Jonathan
Posted on: 12 December 2004 by ARC
Jonathan,

Consider at what distance you tend to sit when you visit the actual cinema. Are you on the front row, back row or inbetween. Try to find out the screen width versus distance away and that start with a similar ratio at home.

Brendan