Grateful Dead

Posted by: Top Cat on 07 January 2001

...any recommendations? I've always had a notion to check them out, but never known where to start. I was at a record fair yesterday and picked up a couple of LPs, one was "Blues for Allah" which is pretty good. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

John

Posted on: 07 January 2001 by Bob Edwards
John--

Start with "Workingmans Dead" and "American Beauty." Both are among their best and are great introductions.

Cheers,

Bobê

Posted on: 07 January 2001 by Ron The Mon
"Uncle" John,
I second Bob's recommendations and will add that "Uncle John's Band", on Workingmans Dead, is one of my favorite songs. Do an internet search on "The Dead" and you're on your way.(even though Jerry has died, internet sites dedicated to him and his band grow every day).

Ron The Mon,
Sometimes Dead-Head

Posted on: 07 January 2001 by Peter Litwack
I agree with Bob about Workingman's Dead and American Beauty, but of all the Dead albums in my collection (and there are a lot), the one I get the most enjoyment from is Europe '72. "Tennessee Jed" and "Brown-Eyed Woman" are my favorite songs on the album, but the whole 2 disc set is brilliant (on vinyl, it comprised 3 LPs). I also like Wake of the Flood, especially the opening cut "Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleoo". All three of these aforementioned cuts perfectly demonstrate the great lyrical writing style of the Jerry Garcia-Robert Hunter team, perfectly expressed by Jerry's beautiful plaintive voice. After Bob Dylan and maybe early Robbie Robertson, Hunter/Garcia may be the best American songwriter/performer entity going.
Posted on: 07 January 2001 by Keith Mattox
My tastes in the Grateful Dead don't back as far, although I've heard the previous recommendations and have enjoyed them.

My experience with the Dead started in the mid-late 70's and are therefore shaped by them - I have recommended "Blues for Allah" and "Terrapin Station". I don't know why I recommend "Blues" - I just like it for some reason. "Terrapin", though, is a fun album, and the opening cut "Estimated Prophet" is one of the most unusual and entertaining melodies I've heard.

I neat introduction to the weirder side of the Dead is a live CD called "Infrared Roses" - it deliberately focuses on the spacier jams that they've done.

I feel that the definitive live Dead album is called just that: "Live Dead".

btw, KPFA on Wednesday nights, 8pm PST have a 2-hour Grateful Dead show that's nothing but fan tapes; you can catch it on internet streaming audio.

Cheers

Keith.

ex-audiophile

Posted on: 08 January 2001 by Bob Edwards
Shareza--

If John posts his address I will send him a couple tapes of what I have.

Cheers,

Bob

Posted on: 09 January 2001 by Chris Metcalfe
My favourites:

'Anthem of the Sun' from 1968 - psych experimentation, but the first half(side) is very coherent and still mind-bendingly good;

'Without a Net', late live album, especially 'Cassidy'. Get a good vinyl pressing and it will really test your system.

Posted on: 10 January 2001 by Top Cat
If anyone wants to send any Dead (or other related) material to me, I'd be delighted to hear it =- my address is:

J. Clark
21 CLaremont Bank
Edinburgh
UK
EH7 4DR

Posted on: 11 January 2001 by Jez Quigley
I've been a dead fan since the early 70's and saw them around a dozen times - pitiful for a USA deadhead I know, but quite an achievement in the UK. I have almost every GD CD ever released i.e. more than most peoples entire music collection! Sure Workingmans and Beauty are the most accessible to normal rock ears, but the live stuff is really where its at. My top recommendation at the moment is 'Ladies and Gentlemen..The Grateful Dead' a 4 CD set recorded at the Filmore East in 71 and released in the UK in October. The sound quality is the best live one I've ever heard and the Dead are on top form, listen to 'King Bee' and weep if you never saw them live. Also try 'Dick's Picks 4' (or is it 6?!!!) anyhow it has the best version of Dark Star the dead ever played IM(not so)HO. Europe '72 has stunning versions of China Cat/Rider but the sound q is not top table (good enough tho). 'From the Vault 2' has amazing versions of St.Stephen/Potato Caboose/Lovelight. Bob Weirs 'Ace' album is really a GD album and has my favourite recording of 'Playing in the Band'.Steer clear of the 'collection' type issues, and 'Shakedown Street' they are poor.
For a taster go to www.gdlive.com for loads of mp3's - free but of variable quality. GD are not for everyone, it still amazes me that some of my friends who have similar (other music) tastes just don't hear those shimmering layers of a million diamond reflections whilst riding the rollercoaster that is the music of the GD at their best... and in case you're wondering, the only thing I smoke these days are Bensons & Hedges.
Posted on: 12 January 2001 by Jez Quigley
Hey Johnny Walker played the Dead's 'Touch of Grey' tonight! Is this the first, (and quite possibly last), time a Dead record has been played on BBC Radio 2?
Posted on: 30 January 2001 by bdnyc
For anyone interested in exploring the musical legacy of the Dead, I would note that there are tons of great releases from the GD, many under the Dick's picks program, and a suprising number of their albums really offer great listening pleasure. As a longtime deadhead, who saw hundreds of their concerts, I am extremely biased, but I also listen to their stuff with an eye to other great performers. So here goes for the short list:
1- "Anthem of the Sun"- a great lost 60's classic that captures the exploratory and musically inclusive aspects of the band's early period. If you like this, try "Two From the Vaults" a live show from this period of super energized GD. I had the great pleasure of trying my best to blow up a pair of DBL's during New Potatoe Caboose, and they simply refused...
2- "Live Dead", which captures the Dead at one of their most fertile periods. The best freeform rock jamming I know of. If you like this style, try Dick Picks Volume 4, which many deadheads regard as one of their 5 or 10 best shows ever.
3- "David Crosby's "If I could Only Remember My Name" includes some of the best recorded studio playing by the Dead's two best players, Garcia, of course, and their brilliant bassist Phil Lesh.
4- "Reckoning"- a 1980 acoustic set recorded live that nicely follows up on their folk leaning material introduced on "Workingman's Dead" & "American Beauty" Superbly recorded, at least on LP. Wonderful group interplay and dynamics.
5- "Dick's Picks Volume 15"- This 1977 show captures the band at a great moment. Strong new material side by side with many of their favorite jamming vehicles, and Garcia plays with extraordinary lyricism and joyfulness. Perhaps the best introduction to their middle period.
6- "Dozin' At the Knick"- This HDCD official multi-track release captures the late era Dead at a great time. Wonderful, mature music making with modern midi colors added to Garcia's tonal palette, and a nice version of his strongest song (in my opinion anyway), Terrapin Station.
7- The last recommendation would have to be their superb box set "So Many Roads" with many highlights, particularly live tracks. Any further investigations will likely lead to a terminal condition, but happy listening!

[This message was edited by bdnyc on WEDNESDAY 31 January 2001 at 07:08.]