CD5 Question

Posted by: Simon Jenkins on 07 September 2000

Guess this one may be for the Naim guys, but here we go.

My nice shiny new CD5 has got three DIN sockets on the back. One's the obvious output to the pre-amp, the other two are both covered by a little plastic widgit. One of these is for adding a PSU, but I have no idea what the other is for. Anyone got any ideas ?

Simon

Posted on: 07 September 2000 by Paul Stephenson
One socket houses a blanking plug which comes into play when an external power supply is added.This should be clear in the manual,no? or no dealer explanation?
Posted on: 11 September 2000 by Simon Jenkins
Paul,

I guess I'm just useless at reading manuals ( that's what happens when your a techie, manuals are for wimps !!! Pull the thing out of the box, and get it working, only refer to the manual as a last resort).

On a more sensible note, I did read the manual, and it states that this is a link plug, but it's not clear what a link plug is ( sorry being dumb again). From what I can see, when the link plug is removed to attach a PSU, there is then an unused DIN socket, so I guess my question should have been, does this socket do anything once the link plug is removed and a PSU added, or is it effectively just a dead socket at this point ?

Also just out of curiosity, if it's not giving away trade secrets, what does this link plug do when it's plugged in.

In fairness to the dealer, I did not ask, just took the box home. I have been using Naim kit for 10+ years now, and after the initial install by my then dealer, have always been perfectly happy to install the kit my self since then, but I guess this may change when I finally get round to buying my SBL's.

Simon

Posted on: 11 September 2000 by Mike Hanson
If you don't have an external power-supply, then the link plug connects the working bits of the CD player with its own internal power supply. At the same time, the link plug has that little arm that prevents you from simultaneously hooking up an external supply (which would be very bad).

If you decide to use the external supply, then the link plug comes off, and you plug the supply into the newly uncovered DIN socket. The original DIN socket will be unused.

BTW, if the CD5 is like the CD3.5, the external supply powers only a portion of the CD5 (the audio portion). I believe the mechanical bits are still powered by the internal supply. The CDX is different, in that an XPS supplies all power and the CDX is unplugged from the wall. Of course, a CDS2 cannot be run without an XPS. Catch you later!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Smilies do not a forum make.

Posted on: 12 September 2000 by Simon Jenkins
Mike,

Thanks for the response, it's all become wonderfully clear.

Simon