52 warm-up time

Posted by: Don Braid on 19 August 2000

My wife and I invited a friend to look after our house while we were on holiday, and this fellow, a sane person (non-audiophile), defied my instructions to turn off only the 250 when thunderstorms loomed. He also powered down the Supercap every time a cloud appeared overhead - at least once a day - and then, when we came home, he told me that my sytem didn't sound very good. I gnashed my teeth and thanked him for his help.
My question is: How long does it take a destabilized 52 to return to its familiar and fabled magical status. My own experience says at least two weeks. Any other opinions?

Thanks, Don Braid

Posted on: 20 August 2000 by Paul Stephenson
Three weeks in active system to get back where you were.2 passive.
Posted on: 21 August 2000 by Ian P
Paul,

I'm looking forward to receiving my 52/super soon - hope the recent holiday hasn't caused too much of a backlog

Out of interest does it take 2 weeks to re-stabilise after being turned off regardless of how long it's been turned off for ?

And how long for the initial burn in should I expect ?

Ian

Posted on: 21 August 2000 by Paul Stephenson
Who did you order from, should be no problem on delivery. Burn in is about 5 days, 2 weeks sings better and then 3 weeks full speed ahead.
Paul,

I ordered from Audio-T in Reading.

I believe you would have received the order from them last Tuesday.

Ian

Posted on: 21 August 2000 by Don Braid
Hi Ian. I received my 52 about three months ago, after living happily for some time with 82/Scap. The differences were immediately obvious, especically in vastly increased detail and upper-end information. But the 52 sounded dissapointingly edgy at first. In my case, it took a full six weeks of runin before it really began to sing. Then it became magic - ambiance and richness that I'd never dreamed of before. Patience is a must, though. There are really two delivery dates with this gizmo - the day you get it, and the day it decides to arrive.
As for warmup after a shutdown, my experience is that almost any disruption, even for a few seconds, will neccessitate a prolonged warmup, although this will obviously take longer if the unit grows stone cold. There seem to be two separate issues - warmup and circuit stabilization.
In sum, you'll love it.

Don

Don,

Thanks for the feedback. I now can't wait to start waiting !

Ian

Posted on: 22 August 2000 by Ian P
Tom,

I know what you mean. When I got my system 2 years ago I remember being distinctly unimpressed when it was first installed. If I recall correctly though within hours it was much improved - and a few days later sounding better than it had in the shop demo.

I must keep this in mind when the 52 arrives.

Thanks,
Ian

Posted on: 24 August 2000 by Don Braid
Tom: If my experience is any guide, you've got FIVE WEEKS to go before the 52 is optimum. I know this is longer than Naim predicts, but it's what happened with mine, and others have had the same experience.
Happy listening.

Don