NACA 5 Length

Posted by: Bob Edwards on 10 September 2000

Hey all--

Is there an absolute IDEAL length for NACA 5 ? The only recommendations are to be at least 3.5 meters (10 feet) to insure the minimum amount of inductance is presented to the amps. (And how much is too much ?) I am replacing my NACA 5 and if there is an ideal length I would really like to know !

Cheers,

Bob

PS--active 250s to SBLs, if that matters.ü

Posted on: 10 September 2000 by Phil Barry
Went through this a few months ago - some say that 5-10 meters is better than any other lengths. I couldn't try the options out - went for 12 feet, myself, based on decorating concerns.
Posted on: 10 September 2000 by Joe Petrik
Bob,

Before I moved to Kentucky, I bought some NAC-A5 because my former dealer had dropped Naim and was blowing out all their old stock, including cable.

I had 3.5 metres a side and went to 7 metres a side. All I can say is that after running it in, the new cable was a little bit better but not really worth the outlay.

And since I went from a 3.5-metre terminated pair with Naim connectors at the speaker end and Radio Spares at the amp end, to a 7-metre terminated pair with Naim connectors at both ends, maybe all the difference I heard could be attributed to the Naim connectors.

In short, I don't think it makes much of a difference as long as you're between the minimum and maximum lengths. Of course longer lengths let you get the gear farther away from the speakers.

Joe

Posted on: 10 September 2000 by Martin Payne
From memory the amps are designed for 10m.

The amps are safe with something between 3.5m & 20m.

cheers, Martin