PS Audio Power Plant

Posted by: Mark Dunn on 30 August 2000

Hi all:

As some may remember for the old forum, my mains supply is a piece of poop and I've been on a quest to improve it. Naturally, I did the dedicated spur with dedicated ground and this certainly improved things but in a way it also highlighted the differences between good and bad mains days. What it boils down to, is that you can't polish a turd.

I had asked about the PS Audio Power Plants and Vuk said he, Steve Karlik and Joe Petrik (now believed to be 'squealing like a little piggy' somewhere in Kentucky) had tried a PP300 on a NAP180 based system but it removed the 'personality' from the music. It was labeled as the 'PS Audio Prozac Plant'. At this point, please note that PS Audio do not recommend the baby PP300 for any power amp applications.

Well, since last Thursday (8/24) I've been having a home trial of the PP600. This produces nominally 600W (peak 720W) of clean and stable 60Hz power. I have all my major components plugged into it (Armageddon, Hi-Cap, 250) and now its had time to run in a bit I thought I'd post my findings.

1. It's a terrific product! No more hoping the system is 'on song'. You get repeatable results every time. The sound/music quality is at a higher level than even a very good mains day.

2. It produces balanced power (nominally 57.5V on live and neutral lines) which reduces system noise significantly.

3. If you have a T/T with an A.C. synchronous motor you are in for a VERY pleasant surprise. My Armageddon/LP12 sounds disheveled (best word fit, I think) when plugged into the wall by comparison, - irrespective of where the other equipment is plugged into.

4. PR&T and dynamics are fundamentally improved. Also, all 'Hi-Fi' aspects (soundstage etc.) change for the better. It took me a while to get used to the abundance of extra mid bass and low bass detail and presence and I eventually had to re-tune the system set up as the previous set-up was 'voiced' for crappy mains. If you try a Power Plant you MUST be aware of this as I'd say there's a good chance you'll have a similar experience.

5. The build quality is excellent, as is customer service.

For more info' take a look at http://www.psaudio.com.

Keep in mind: My 250 has 'only' a 450VA transformer. Those of you with 135s, 500s or active systems may find this solution price prohibitive, although there is a 1200W version available.

Best Regards,
Mark Dunn

Posted on: 30 August 2000 by Joe Petrik
Mark,

Maybe we should re-evaluate the Power Plants. It's true that Vuk, Joe Pellizarri, Steve and I tried the baby in the line up and didn't care for it -- except on Joe's Planar 3 -- but the bigger models may indeed be worth trying.

The mains at my new place in KY is pretty good and reasonably even, ranging from respectable to very good over the day, but it would be a pleasant change to have great power day or night.

Joe

P.S. Any idea if the PS600 needs to have a dedicated line? That's the other wild card in the equation. When we tried the PS300 it was plugged straight into a conventional wall outlet, sans separate ground, sans separate spur.

P.S.S. At the risk of starting a subthread, how's the XV-1?

Posted on: 30 August 2000 by Mark Dunn
Hi Joe!

Re:

>Any idea if the PS600 needs to have a dedicated
>line? That's the other wild card in the equation. >When we tried the PS300 it was plugged straight
>into a conventional wall outlet, sans separate
>ground, sans separate spur.

A regilar wall socket is just fine. The output of the Power Plant is totally 'disconnected' from the input. However, a dedicated earth does make a difference as regulations prevent manufacturers from molesting the ground system. The PP does have a separate ground connection available for such use.

>At the risk of starting a subthread, how's the
>XV-1?

Absolutely sublime! Call Mike Pranka and place your order immediately

Best Regards,
Mark Dunn

Posted on: 31 August 2000 by Mark Dunn
Hi Vuk:

I'm considering trying a Soundframe on my swinging (pun intended) TT shelf. I posted a question on the 'M' forum but as yet have no definitive answer as to whether it might work. A rack is a no-go for the moment as the floor is just WAY too bouncy. However, I'm moving house shortly and will be looking for a decent listening room as a major factor.

Best Regards,
Mark DunnP

Posted on: 07 September 2000 by John Schmidt
Mark,

I've followed PS Audio's web site periodically with interest. I think that they've recently added an option called "Multiwave" that allows the system to supply power at frequencies other than the standard (in North America) 60 Hz. Do you have this option? Any comments?

John Schmidt
"95% of everything is crud" - Theodore Sturgeon