Best J*** vocalists

Posted by: John Schmidt on 17 November 2000

Earlier this week, one of the hosts of "As It Happens", a nightly news magazine on CBC radio, made a passing reference to Billie Holiday as "the best female jazz vocalist ever". Well, that really got the old Talk Back machine humming with alternative opinions on both male and female vocalists.

So, let's have a go, shall we? Weigh in with your nominations for the best male and female jazz vocalists of the past century. My picks: Mel Torme and Ella Fitzgerald.

Cheers,

John Schmidt
"95% of everything is crud" - Theodore Sturgeon

Posted on: 18 November 2000 by richard goldsmith
Well, jazz vocals are a funny thing. I'm a big jazz fan (Miles, Monk, Montgomery, Coltrane, Powell, Peterson, Evans etc.) but on the whole, vocals leave me cold in the jazz genre. But my $$$ would definitely be on Ella, as opposed to Billie. Quite different of course, so the comparison is probably pointless. Don't forget Sarah Vaughan, who doesn't have the effortless class of Ella, but beautiful in a totally different way.

I don't have any favourite male jazz vocalists, so I'll leave it there...

Posted on: 19 November 2000 by Giles Felgate
There is a body of opinion that Ella's highpoint, the songbook series, is actually more pop than jazz. While I'm a great fan of Ella,I tend to agree with that view. My vote for female vocalist is Dinah Washington, especially the Dinah Jams! album. Male vocalist, agree Mel Torme was the best.

Giles

Posted on: 20 November 2000 by woodface
Ok, female it just has to Billie, Ella always sounds too girly to my ears and Dinah Washington is a great blues singer but does not have the technique for the more demanding material. Billie always sounds as though she has lived the life and this gives authenticity to her vocals. Male, it has to be Sinatra, although I concede he may not be considered Jazz by some! Basically he was the best singer of the 20th Century and could sing anything - listen to 'one more for baby' or 'Autumn Leaves', simply awesome.
Posted on: 20 November 2000 by Stewart Cooper
John,

Thankfully, choosing "the best" is as unreal as being allowed just the one disc on that desert island. Among the Ladies, I would not want to be without Ella or Billie - but I tend to play more Abbey Lincoln than any other female jazz vocalist (sorry Hock). For example, try, When There is Love (with Hank Jones) and, A Turtle's Dream. I am also a Shirley Horn fan.

Male jazz vocalists: Mel Torme - well of course. But I really like Tony Bennett. His collaboration with Bill Evans, in particular. Even his Unplugged collection is often spun chez moi - of the many many (vocal) versions of Autumn Leaves, I think this is my favourite.

Stewart

Posted on: 20 November 2000 by Todd A
I'm not too big on jazz with vocals, and to the extent I am I prefer female vocals to male vocals. Here's my two cents worth ($0.28 adjusted for inflation).

Best female vocals: Ella.

Then Billie, then Lena. I rather enjoy Diane Reeves, as well.

Best male vocals: ? I'll go with Mel Torme, though.

Posted on: 21 November 2000 by Tony L
quote:
So, let's have a go, shall we? Weigh in with your nominations for the best male and female jazz vocalists of the past century.

Billie Holiday gets my vote for female jazz vocalist - I only have two albums 'Lady sings the blues' and 'Songs for Distingué Lovers', I love them both. 'Strange fruit' from 'Lady sings the blues' can knock you cold, incredibly powerful stuff. There is no filler on this album at all, and ok the recording technology is shall we say 'vintage' rather than classic, but it gets in the way surprisingly little.

'Songs for Distingué Lovers' is a far more technically polished affair, beautifully arranged and recorded, with a really great swing to the playing, it does however lack some of the real heart rendering conviction from the earlier album.

Can anyone recommend any others by Ms Holiday?

On a totally different level I really like Astrid Gilberto, whose work with Stan Getz, João Gilberto, and Antonio Carlos Jobim was often really cool. Leave any hope of conviction at the door, but the warm swing of this music is wonderful. Her later output was more 'lounge-core', suitable for lovers of good cheesy grooves (stop me before I get my Esquivel albums out…).

Tony.

Posted on: 22 November 2000 by woodface
Tony, recomending Billie recordings is so difficult as there is so much crap that has been released. As she is now out of copyright on most of her best years all these crappy re-release companies are content to put any old rubbish out. I don't think there is another artist out there of her standing who is so poorly represented. Anyway, rant over! You have to buy 'Lady in Satin', her voice is pretty wrecked at by this point but the raw emotion coupled with the Ray Ellis string arrangements can make you weep. In fact at times it is almost to much to take! The greatest hits set 'The legend of Billie Holiday' is probably one of the better best of's and has a good range of numbers on it. It is a bit 'digital' but this is preferable to the appaling sound qulaity of the cheap 78 transfers. If your really keen then the multi-volume Columbia 'Quintessential...' set is pretty definitive. Hope this helps!
Posted on: 22 November 2000 by Pete
...well liked, unusual and worth checking out, try Siri Beathe Gellein, a Norwegian lady backed up by her Svale Band on two releases, "Blackbird" and "Necessarily So".

First came across this lot c/o Robert's demo set: he'd picked Blackbird up on a cruise to Norway and while everyone else was looking at waterfalls he went to the local recording studio instead... Very hard to find in the UK, I finally got my own copy a couple of summers ago waiting for the ferry in Bergen. Also got "Necessarily So", the followup, on the same shopping trip (though was disappointed that stock from "Free Records" had to be paid for, hey ho). The material is mainly standards based, but has an unusual two bass attack (one guitar, one upright), and plenty of swing. The recording and production quality on both discs is quite exceptionally good. Worth checking out.

Pete.

Posted on: 22 November 2000 by John C
Hi, Ive had to crawl from the shadows (Bloody Lurkio) to correct the heinous omission of Betty Carter. The best by a country mile. More vocal instrumentalist than singer. Better live than on record, I saw her a few years ago with Jack de Jonette, Geri All en and Dave Holland: what a band! Suggest "the audience with" as best recording but also "I Cant Help It" on Impulse.
Also MISTER Jimmy Rushing anything with the Basie band or recent Impulse "Every day I have the Blues" The latter more blues than jazz but swinging none the less.

[This message was edited by John C on WEDNESDAY 22 November 2000 at 14:30.]9

[This message was edited by John C on WEDNESDAY 22 November 2000 at 14:36.]

Posted on: 22 November 2000 by Stewart Cooper
>>...More vocal instrumentalist than singer. Better live than on record...<<

Yes, John, I agree, she shouldn't be ignored.

And thanks Pete for the more esoteric recommendation.

On a tangent - has anyone heard Sade's new album?

Stewart

Vuk,

I thought mentioning Sade in such distinguished company may have been too conspicuous to get away with. But I have to honestly admit a soft spot (?Achilles heel) for her earlier output. Diamond Life, in particular, conjures fond memories. Many years and events since her last album, I confess more than passing interest.

Stewart.

Vuk,

It's called, The Tony Bennett/Bill Evans Album! Recorded in 1975 and as far as I know it is still available. If you're a Bill Evans neophyte, give that House stuff a rest and give him a try. Everybody digs Bill Evans, Waltz for Debby and Conversations With Myself, for example.

A Torme album to try might be Mel Torme Sings Fred Astaire; best when you have company.

Stewart.

Thanks Ross, I don't usually 'double-up' but for this I will look out for a copy.

Stewart.

Posted on: 22 November 2000 by rohit
stewart, you know where to drive to...the Cambria (tepusquet vineyard) comes to mind
Posted on: 24 November 2000 by John Boon
I'd add Diana Krall and Cassandra Wilson to the list - both great live acts too.

Cheers

John

Posted on: 25 November 2000 by Clive B
I'm not suer about Jazz and vocals; I often feel that vocals constrain the mind, thereby limiting the ethereal experience (wow!). But I guess I shall have to try the Tony Bennett / Bill Evans disc sometime.

However, Ross is cock-on with the "Waltz for Debby" and "Sunday at the VV". Highlights (how do you choose highlights from such excellent discs?)are combined on one disc, "At the VV" which, IMHO, has to be one of best Jazz records of all time. Excellent late at night with a glass of Lagavulin...
Regards, CB

Posted on: 01 December 2000 by Peter Litwack
Stewart-
I'm surprised no one has mentioned either Louis Armstrong or Chet Baker. Many jazz experts consider Louis Armstrong the greatest jazz vocalist ever. As for Chet Baker, he's definitely an acquired taste, but be sure to check out "Chet Baker Sings". His version of "My Funny Valentine" was very popular in the Fifties, and simply beautiful. Almost forgot: no one ever sang "Lush Life" better than Johnny Hartman. Billie vs. Ella? No contest. Ella had a great instrument, but Billie was so much more subtle. Her phrasing redefined the art.
BTW-I second your emotion about the Bill Evans Tony Bennett album. Great stuff!