Personal request to Naim from a new DVD5 owner.

Posted by: karyboue on 16 March 2005

I have ordered a DVD5 this afternoon after I tested it on my TV. One was still available at the distributor and my dealer should receive it on Tuesday Big Grin

The connection of the DVD5 to my TV is done on a DB-15 RGBHV input. The BNCs' RGBHV output of the DVD5 with PAL discs is set to 576p @ 50 hz which doesn't work on my TV.

So I tested NTSC discs and WHAO ! Not only is it working (480p @ 60hz) but the image is incredible compared to my PCHT despite the fact that I made no adjustments (blacks were grey, too much light, tint was pinky...). It was absolutly FANTASTIC, I could see some moving things in backgrounds I had never seen before, it was something like there were too many visual informations for my eyes. My TV with the PCHT had one of the best "illusionist" image I had seen before, trully a window on another reality but I couldn't believe that it could go so much further with the DVD5 !

So, I played again some PAL discs but in NTSC mode, turned on a few filters (motion and more) in the menu to see where it goes. Well it works pretty well and I would say better than with the PCHT but on fast movements, the missing frames were visible (the equivalent of a bad de-interlacing).

So my question is : is there any way the RGBHV output in PAL mode could be "tweaked" to have a 60hz frequency rate like the NTSC mode instead of 50hz ? (My TV accepts Data 480 and 600 lines at frequencies between 56 and 75hz and 720*576 @ 60hz)

A change of TV would be simpler but I want to wait until march 2006, date of the launch of the numerical terrestrial brodcasting in my town. Frown

Thanks
Posted on: 17 March 2005 by Adrian F.
Hi Karyboue

So you came finally to the planned DVD5 to your KV-32FD1E, VGA input test Winker

I am afraid, but I expected something like this... At the time this TV was developped, that input was built for computer signals, not video signals. A cable with the right plugs on boths sides is sometimes not enough.

NTSC is 60 Hz - PAL is 50 Hz - this difference is here to stay, even with HDTV! I have not seen any frame-rate conversion witout messing up the motion. I guess it's just not possible Confused

Have you checked back with Sony? Probably they have a new FirmWare for your TV which allows more signals on that input.

Good luck!
Adrian
Posted on: 17 March 2005 by karyboue
Hi Adrian,

Unfortunatly, a firmware won't change anything, it's a matter of conception, like projectors. Some are <31.4khz compatible and will accept PAL 50hz and the others >31.4 khz compatible only won't.
That means that all "old" data projectors (and retros like Sony's gorgeous RetroLCD SX300 range) are not compatible with the RGBHV output of the DVD5. I think it could be interesting to have a special PAL 60hz RGBHV output.

I don't know how computers work with the frame rate but it can be done. I was using before a standard DVD player in PAL > acquisition video card in PAL detection > computer deinterlacing with Dscaler software in 3:2 pulldown > computer video card outputing a 60 hz signal in RGBHV. So, it can work ... if ever the DVD5 could be forced to output PAL 60hz instead of 50 hz.

May be the problem is that the KV32 FD1 do "accepts" 720*576 @ 50 hz but takes it for an interlaced signal instead of de-interlaced. Instead of showing a black screen as a standard default I have an interlaced image and the big green numbers typical of sony TVs staying all time on the screen and indicating that the TV is in default. I think the DVD player believes this it is the right signal to send and doesn't convert it to VGA ? Is it the point ?

But even playing PAL disc in NTSC mode the image is fantastic, the 2:2 pulldown only creates problems with very fast movement.

I only tested the DVD5 a few minutes on my TV and my dealer lends me his DVD5 for the week-end before mine arrives on Tuesday. So I will check all the possibilities to more or less "adapt" that motion incompatibility. May be is there something I haven't seen in the menu ?
Posted on: 19 March 2005 by karyboue
I have my player since 6 hours and I haven't changed any of the default settings (except RGBHV output). The player is on NTSC playing PAL DVDs in 60hz and watching only live music DVDs (sound is to die ! Cool ) I haven't seen any of the de-interlacing problem I taked on the topic before.

I'll check that with movies tomorrow.

My advice is borrow the player from your dealer and check by yourself on your own HiFi, it is really astonishing. Magic world.

(To Naim people : it is not fair keeping for yourself only that secret of emotional reproduction Winker )
Posted on: 19 March 2005 by Manu
Welcome in the DVD5 owners club.
Posted on: 19 March 2005 by karyboue
quote:
Originally posted by Manu:
Welcome in the DVD5 owners club.

Thanks

6:30 AM and time to go to bed now Winker