Thread to help Judd post his F#@%ing pics

Posted by: Justin on 06 November 2003

Ok, here's the deal:

I have SBC Yahoo DSL service and I was told that along with my service, I gte 500 megs of space with which to host pics, websites, etc.

But, as some of you know from the HELL I have had on the other forum, i can't get my pics to work.

So, I'm going to try to post a few pics here and see if any of them work rather than waste more time on the other thread.

OK, so here is a pic that I am posting within the picture posting utility that naim has:

Wondering if anybody can see it.

Here is the URL I used:

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/3faa9958_8808/bc/Naim/Naim2.jpg?BCP2tq_API9nqJHr

Can you see it if you click on the URL?

Somebody on the other thread said I could not link to pics on Yahoo. Clearly this cannot be right, right? First of all, what good is my yahoo space if I can't share my pics and webpages with people? I was under the impression that the whole purpose of ths space was so i could run a business from a website. Clearly I am not understanding something.
Posted on: 06 November 2003 by Dan M
Judd,

No pic in post and link is bad - gives message "bcvrf.yahoo.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again."

Dan
Posted on: 06 November 2003 by ErikL
You can't link to pics in Yahoo. I believe that is correct. I think you can provide a link to your general Yahoo Photos and that's it (i.e., photos.yahoo.com/<yahooname>.) Beyond that, Yahoo is amidst changing its policy on how its Briefcase and Photo Albums are managed, stored, handled, blah, blah. That could be confusing things.

More importantly, who watched American Chopper's "Mikey Monday" special the other night?
Posted on: 06 November 2003 by Justin
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/3fa9ca07_7ef8/bc/Judd%27s+Hi-Fi/__sr_/naim.jpg?BC7puq_AZjbO_krJ
Ok, apparently the yahoo photos and breifcase utilities are NOT the same thing as web hosting. so, I will try this again at goecities, where I also have free space.

Judd
Posted on: 06 November 2003 by ErikL
That URL worked. I stand corrected.
Ok.

Fcuk all that. I'm using geocities now.

Let's see if this works:

Judd
I swear, this has got to be some kind of cruel joke. Surely this cannot be right. I am thwarted at every turn.

Judd
Ok, this is what i do not understand.

The following is a link to a picture I have at geocities. If you click on it, it will not work for you (or me).

http://www.geocities.com/juddson1@ameritech.net/IMG_1648.JPG

However, if I paste it into my browser window, it will take me to my pic. If you copy it to your URL window in your browser, I bet it will take you to my pic. So why o why will it NOT take you to my picture when you simply click on it? What is the difference? I am going Freaking INSANE!!!

Judd

[This message was edited by Justin on FRIDAY 07 November 2003 at 01:02.]
try this.

http://images.ofoto.com/photos505/1/41/66/8/55/1/155086641103_0_ALB.jpg

judd
I know, but that is the way the flunkies and suckers do it. i want to do it right Big Grin

trying again.

judd

[This message was edited by Justin on FRIDAY 07 November 2003 at 02:58.]
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by matthewr
Judd,

Free sites like yahoo and geocities stop the link working inside a third party sites so that you cannot "bandwidth steal" by embedding pictures stored in yahoo on pages in other domains. i.e. the storage is free but you have to visit their site (and so their advertising) to see it.

They had to do this as what you are trying to do used to be very common and it sent bandwidth on free picture sights through the roof without an appropriate increase in page impressions. I.e. it was costing them $$$$ and they were getting no ad-revenue from it. Which was fine in the golden days in the internet boom when everyone was busy spending thier $100m of VC funding in 18 months but was soon stopped once the accountants moved in.

However, unless you have the crapiest ISP in the world you should get some free storage for your account on thier servers. Since you are paying for this, it will not have the restrictions that Yahoo! has so using this storage should sort out your problem and allow you to link your pics directly. Check you ISP's support pages and they should have information on how to upload pics.

Alternatively you can get paid hosting for very small amnounts of money. Mine costs IIRC about $20 a year include domain registration and absurdly high bandwidth and storage space.

Your final option is to find some kind soul on the forum where you are trying to post your pics who will put them on his site for you. But at this point I think should be, as Andrew said, giving up and just getting them below the file size limit and posting them directly.

Matthew

PS I note that this is a family site and posting "fucking pics" is probably not acceptable.
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by Paul Ranson
If you crop and size your shots they end up below 50K while still looking OK. The three photos I put on the 'System Pics' thread yesterday evening are all below 50k.

The downside of the attachment thing is that they end up at the end of your message and you can only have one per message. The previous version of Infopop was better in this respect but more awkward to use.

Paul
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by Justin
Matthew and all,

I was also under the impression that I got a bunch of server space from my isp. This ISP was SBC DSL through Ameritech. Then a few months ago they somehow "merged" or something with yahoo SBC (or something) and now my ISP is Yahoo (or something like it) and, of course, I pay for it (about $50 a month). So, I am flabergasted that i cannot do what I want to with the space. I am shocked and dismayed.

All I can think is that MAYBE I have some additional space with Ameritech, but of course if you go to the Ameritech website, it's got yahoo icons plastered all over it.

So I'm kinda pissed.

Judd
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by Rasher
So how come I'm looking at the picture of the IBL's above then.. Am I the only one to see this??? And now the Ela's below ?
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by Justin
Rasher,

I can't even see those pictures. How is it that you can? This is what is so strange about all of this. Nothing is consistent. Is it really true that you can see my pictures? Nobody else seems to be able to.

Judd
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by garyi
I can't see them at all.

Perhaps rasher is with Yahoo or something?

Juston can you provide a web site that is for your actual ISP.

I am with NTL (for my sins) and they have a website called ntlworld.

Whats yours? I'll have a sniff round it see what the deal is for your web space. Strictly speaking at $50 a month you should have your own web space for hosting a website, not a shitty Yahoo malarky thing.
The pictures are way too big. this is reduced to just 24k, and it looks OK to me.
Posted on: 07 November 2003 by matthewr
"I just found that when I drag'n'dropped/copy'n'pasted the speaker picture to the address bar and waited for it to load, after I back-clicked to the forum the picture was there too."

Once you;ve already seen it your browser is loading it from its cache so it doesn't get nixed server side by yahoo.

Matthew
This is at 49.3k, about the maximum limit.
Can you see this?