Sony 32" LCDs - pros/cons?

Posted by: Top Cat on 14 August 2005

Hi folks.

After carefully grinding her resolve down over the past year or so, my dear wife has agreed that we can get a 32" LCD. No bigger, as she hates over-sized panels, and I tend to agree that they can dominate in the average room.

So, we've looked around and the one we like the look of best is the new Sony KDLS32A12, which is a new Sony 32" LCD with HDMI/HD and built-in freeview, and crucially, has a small bevel (so that it's only a couple of inches wider overall than the panel width).

It's apparently a new model, and the picture looked very good to me. That said, I'm keen for alternative recs.

What we're looking for:

30-32" LCD;
No speakers to the sides (i.e. minimum casework)
HD/HDMI;
Attractive looking case;
Stand (we won't wall mount)

Sony Centre want £1400 (if 0%) or will do it for £1250 for cash (not a problem). Do you think we can better this mail order, and even if we can is it recommended?

Any advice gratefully taken - this will be our first 'proper' panel TV.

Cheers,

John
Posted on: 14 August 2005 by Willy
John,

Whole new technology just around the the corner.

http://www.brightsidetech.com/products/dr37p.php

Willy.
Posted on: 14 August 2005 by Top Cat
Wow, she'd *hate* that - big ugly thing with ridiculous bevel. Putting that to one side - any other, 'available now' recommendations?

John
Posted on: 14 August 2005 by Jay
Appartently this one is quite good...

Panasonic TX32LXD500
Posted on: 14 August 2005 by Bas V
On the same queste here. I think I'll settle for a Philips 32PF9956 which I think looks pretty good and has a very good picture quality.

Regards! Bas
Posted on: 14 August 2005 by Top Cat
Jay, once again: enormous, ugly bevel - remember, I'm only 'allowed' 32" if the bevel is very thin, as really she wants something smaller than 32", but I managed to demonstrate that a bigger panel with a smaller bevel can be no bigger than a smaller panel with a wider bevel. Sadly (based upon the picture on the linked page), the Panasonic's bevel is just ridiculous for the size of panel.

The Philips one looks nice, though - it's bevel is reasonably slim like the Sony's. Same price as well (before the cash discount, that is).

Picture-wise, how does this one stack up against the Sony? Any other 32" LCDs with slim bevels?
Posted on: 15 August 2005 by Bas V
I have not extensilvely compared to a Sony model, as all Sony models over here have a large speaker on the bottom. My girlfriend has the same demands as your wife, so not an option. The model you mention I cannot find on the internet.
Besides that, the Philips has the best picture quality that I have seen untill now!
Posted on: 15 August 2005 by Willy
Check out the Toshiba range. Seem to recall seeing some in Comet that had a really small bevel.

Willy
Posted on: 15 August 2005 by Top Cat
Willy, I'll look out for the Toshiba ones you mention. FWIW, here's a link to the Sony LCD we looked at on Saturday:

S Series (32")

...having looked at a lot, this one seemed to have the best picture we've seen so far. Most of the LCDs we say seemed a bit grainy, or indistinct, or had colour issues. This one seemed spot on and pin-sharp. Colours were quite a bit better than our (rather unimpressive) Sony 21" CRT. It doesn't appear to have the ability to display 1680x1080 resolution (is this the same as 1080i) but clearly does do the 720 res.

As a bit of a beginner in these things, I don't know if I should be looking for other things that it doesn't have. Size-wise, anything bigger in our moderate room (16'x14') would be dominating, and we're limited by the room arrangement anyway.

It'd be used for Freeview and DVD viewing; I don't plan on going down the Sky route.

The other thing I like about the Sony is the fact that apparently it can be used as a computer display. I presume this is a DVI connection, that we might use with our Apple laptop? That'd be handy, if not a deal-breaker.

John
Posted on: 15 August 2005 by Frank Abela
In terms of display technology, the current market leaders are Sharp. They've just launched a brand new range and make a good looking/reasonable sounding unit. Look at Sharp's website http://www.sharp.co.uk. They've introduced an interesting P series designed specifically for UK PAL broadcasts which should in theory mean you'd get better standard broadcast quality. However, they also make the Titanium series with WXGA resolution. The Titaniums have built-in analogue and freeview tuners. The smallest 32" job has one DVI input (not HDMI annoyingly).

We have played with the P series which is meant to give the best results with standard DVD and UK broadcasts. It's much better than traditional LCD displays, but I stil wouldn't buy one. When very little is moving in the picture, the screen is stunningly good, but once things start moving around (which is the object of the exercise) I still can't get away from the motion artefacts. Much improved, yes, but the plasmas remain superior.

Personally I'd wait. I can't help feeling there are a few displays to be released in a few months, certainly before the end of the year. I know of one plasma that will have a couple of HDMI inputs (one for HD broadcasts and one for your scalered DVD player) and I'm sure the other displays are all heading this way. Try to hang on for a few months I say.
Thanks, Frank. We're going on holiday soon, so we decided we'd wait until we return anyway - so it'd be probably October or November before we buy.

Interesting point about motion: I found the Sony's to be fine for motion (from DVD, anyway) though I could easily see the artefacts of the DVD encoding on certain discs. I'm sure that's the DVD player or the disc itself, though, rather than a flaw in the panel.

The Sharp Aquos titanium looks good - very slim bevel, no major complaints. What sort of price is it? Now that my wife has £1250 in her head as our 'upper budget' there'll be no chance of upping it. The website suggests £3000 which is bonkers, compared to other prices I've seen - but then, there's rrp and there's actual street price and no way would I pay full rrp for a telly!

Nice looking panel, though...

John
Update: just found one online for £850, so I don't know what planet the Sharp website is on...

£850 is more my cuppa tea. Enough left over from our £1250 budget to get a DVR/HD box... (assuming we can get one with a Freeview tuner built in)

John
Posted on: 15 August 2005 by Peter Gear
John

I've seen the Hitachi 32LD7200 fed with HDTV test signal ( via an Astra satellite link I think). It was stunning with no signs of motion artifacts etc.
It's top of my list for purchase in october/November time but will keep an eye out for the new ones Frank mentioned.
Has DVI and HDMI and gets good comments on the AV forum
(sorry can't seem to be able to post the hitachi or AV forum URL's)

Peter
John, I can also get a Sharp Aquos for about 850 UKP. But this model has a separate tuner (as big as an old VHS recorder) and separate speakers. Besides that it's a very nice screen.
Hmmmm... extra boxes lose WAF points, unfortunately.

So far, I'm leaning toward the Sony as it has most of what I want. Nobody's talked me out of it, yet, though I'm all ears if someone wants to dish the dirt!

John
With all due respect John, the Philips looks way better than the Sony! Go and try it, I'm sure your wife will like it!
Posted on: 15 August 2005 by karyboue
I do agree with Frank Abela Sharp P serie LCD should be the best if you stick to SD (even if Plasmas are faster).

If you want to be ready for the futur (HD-DVD, Sky HD, Naim DVD5 scaling card, etc), philips is launching an ambilight, P2+, HDMI ... 37PF9830 full HD with a 1920x1080 native matrix.
Posted on: 16 August 2005 by niceguy235uk
Just my 2 pennies worth.........

a few months ago I installed a 28" (i think) sony lcd tv in a clients spare room and i have to say i thought the picture was horrendous.

That said the panasonic was way better.(IMHO)

Regards
Jason
Posted on: 16 August 2005 by Top Cat
Hi folks, keep it coming. I have to say, though, that I've seen the Sony I'm talking about in person and felt its picture was the best I've seen - so far. Not perfect (but then it was surrounded by other panels, etc.) but as close to it as I've seen.

Perhaps I need to see one in someone's home to get an idea of what's good and what isn't. The Sony sure looked good to me, but then I am comparing it to a CRT TV and it was CONSIDERABLY better than any TV I've owned or spent any time watching.

Lots of Panasonic recs, which make me want to check them out, but the one linked earlier on this topic had a huge ugly bevel and so is ruled out on that basis (no matter how good the picture, if it looks too big it will be black-balled by my dear lady).

John
Posted on: 16 August 2005 by Jay
quote:
Originally posted by Top Cat:
Lots of Panasonic recs, which make me want to check them out, but the one linked earlier on this topic had a huge ugly bevel and so is ruled out on that basis (no matter how good the picture, if it looks too big it will be black-balled by my dear lady).

Why not you take a look in store before deciding TC. Take the dear lady with you.
Posted on: 16 August 2005 by Top Cat
Jay, we've already done (ahem) Comet, which had a fairly decent selection (~15 or so in our size range, most of which were HD compatible) and so the Pana might well have been one of them. All I do know is that none of them stood out as being particularly good pictures - apart from the Sony.

Maybe it's a setup/config thing though. We'll probably wait until late October/early November to buy, and check them out again nearer the time.

John
Posted on: 16 August 2005 by Frank Abela
Two things Top Cat:

1. Comet and the like tend to use analogue distribution which suffer from huge variances in their outputs. If you did not use a DVD player per screen, you will not have been doing a direct comparison. The Sony could have been the lucky one.

2. Those motion artefacts you mentioned are more likely the panel than the machine/disc. Sure, sometimes there's artefacts from those two sources, but from what I've seen the panels are the worst culprits generally speaking. This is why i wouldn't buy one at the moment - a CRT is better in that respect!