Order of AV upgrades?

Posted by: Neil Bennett on 13 April 2005

I'm in the process of upgrading my AVR setup gradually and am interested in people's views of what the priority should be.

It's currently a 10-year old Nokia 28" widescreen CRT TV, an Arcam DV88 DVD, Onkyo 696 receiver, Axess centre and N-Sats on their stands as fronts, and old Dean Alto II's on target stands as rears.

(The Axess and N-Sats were step 1 of the upgrade).

My current view of priority:

1. N sub (but no 2nd-hand/ex-dem units around, it seems)
2. Arivas for fronts, shift N-Sats to rears (maybe Allaes if I spot a real bargain pair)which would fit in best with the other speakers?
2. An AV2 to work with the power amp section of the Onkyo (does this work?). Or is it better to wait for an AV3-is this confirmed? What serial no. of AV2 had the new firmware as standard?
3. An AV175 and either 150x or 200 for power amp duties.
4. A DVD 5.
5. A HDMI compatible 35 or 37" plasma later, when a greater choice is available.

Any views/suggestions. I want to get 2nd hand/ex-dem wherever possible.

Neil
Posted on: 13 April 2005 by Frank Abela
I think I would start with changing the speakers so that the front/rear matching is more accurate. Either the Arivas or the Allaes will work well. The Allaes should be better since they are closer in presentation to the Axess.

Once this is done, the system should be much better balanced. I should let it settle down for a while until you get used to the new abilities. Then you may find that you really do want a decent sub. The n-sub is a fine sub of course, but it is fairly new and second hand ones are rare. The nice thing about the n-sub is that it integrates beautifully with Naim's own speakers so if you can find the dosh it's worth it in the long run.

After this I would probably jump to the DVD player. I was playing with a DVD5 at the weekend with my 6 year old analogue Panasonic TV so I wasn't expecting much of a difference over my Nakamichi DV-10S, especially as I was using the S-Video input. The Nakamichi just didn't stand a chance and went away sobbing in the corner, poor thing. I was absolutely gobsmacked at how good the picture was on my namby pamby Panny. Terminator 2, Matrix Reloaded, Kill Bill, Eyes Wide Shut in case you were wondering...

The Naim is a remarkably good machine. I also had on hand Arcam's latest FMJ DV29. The FMJ was closer to the Naim but I still preferred the Naim's image, being more stable with greater depth. Musically the Naim was streets ahead, showing up the Arcam as being woolly and somewhat muddled in the bass. This was a surprise since I've often played with the Arcam and it generally performs very well.

So with the Naim providing a decent CD performance and excellent DVD performance, your next move would be to change to an AV2 processor and subsequently Naim power amps - and Naim cable of course!
Posted on: 14 April 2005 by Jay
quote:
Originally posted by Neil Bennett:
I'm in the process of upgrading my AVR setup gradually and am interested in people's views of what the priority should be.

It's currently a 10-year old Nokia 28" widescreen CRT TV, an Arcam DV88 DVD, Onkyo 696 receiver, Axess centre and N-Sats on their stands as fronts, and old Dean Alto II's on target stands as rears.

(The Axess and N-Sats were step 1 of the upgrade).

My current view of priority:

1. N sub (but no 2nd-hand/ex-dem units around, it seems)
2. Arivas for fronts, shift N-Sats to rears (maybe Allaes if I spot a real bargain pair)which would fit in best with the other speakers?
2. An AV2 to work with the power amp section of the Onkyo (does this work?). Or is it better to wait for an AV3-is this confirmed? What serial no. of AV2 had the new firmware as standard?
3. An AV175 and either 150x or 200 for power amp duties.
4. A DVD 5.
5. A HDMI compatible 35 or 37" plasma later, when a greater choice is available.

Any views/suggestions. I want to get 2nd hand/ex-dem wherever possible.

Neil

Hi Neil

I'm going to take a different tack than Frank here with my recommendations. You asked for it!

I think you've got the basics sorted. You've got the ability to decode and experience 5.1 with your DVD, amp and full complement of speakers. If I was you I look at improving the visuals next. You could relegate your TV to broadcast only and invest in a decent projector.

I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but if you can get over the installation issues there are some great deals to be had. The technology is just getting better and better. Starters for 10 would be the Screenplay 4805 or the Pana AE700, but there's plently of others....

As a recent convert to a Panasonic ae700 myself, I've matched it with my Av2/175, etc. If I'd started from scratch I probably would've gone for a projector a little earlier on. Nothing can beat a large screen and you've got a very very capable DVD player to go with it.

So with that in hand I'd probably go for an AV2 next, "especially" if you want a musical HT system. This was critical for me, I love music DVD's but our system needs to do music and movies. I don't think anything can do that as well as the AV2.

AN AV2 "can" work with existing AMP, assuming it has the correct connections, but I'd look for a 175 (they do come up 2nd hand) or a complement of 2nd hand 90's, 180, or 250's!!! Funds allowing Winker

Next? Well that's probably too far ahead...but speaker matching or dvd player upgrade or sub.....

Good times ahead.

Jay
Posted on: 19 April 2005 by Cjones
I would move the AV2 up to the front, quickly followed with amps.

Let me take a step back and say that over the years I have been critical of Naim a few times.

Well, I recently purchased the NAPV 175 and I was not impressed. Not a huge deal, I was comparing it to a $4k pass 3x amp, not really apples to apples.
Then I bought a NAP 200. Well, what a difference, it was night and day. The imaging is the closest I have ever heard an amp come to electro static's. I was extremely impressed. I should note, that was using an Arcam DV 88 DVD player as a source.
Posted on: 19 April 2005 by Neil Bennett
So do you think it's worth hanging out for 2x200's, or 250/200 or 200/150x or 250/150x + a 145 for power? (If a 175 and therefore a 150) don't cut it?

Neil
Posted on: 20 April 2005 by Jay
Dude!

You are looking at a 10 year old 28" Nokia widescreen and you are worried about the difference between a 150x and 200?

I think you have the Naim bug bad Winker
Posted on: 21 April 2005 by Neil Bennett
Jay,

You're probably right, but also I want to establish target end points, even if it takes quite a while to get there. I will definitely get a better TV, of course, but I currently am planning to go for a 37" HDTV plasma panel, but as far as I can tell there aren't any yet -perhaps a Panasonic 500 model may come out in September from what I heard. The power amps could well be next year, but it's nice to know what you're aiming for, in case a real bargain comes up in the meantime!

Neil
Posted on: 21 April 2005 by Jay
Neil

Ah right, you have the visual side sorted then!

Well if you're looking second hand an AV2/175/150 combo would be difficult to beat.

Nice problem to have isn't it.

Jay
Posted on: 29 April 2005 by Neil Bennett
Update: well opportunism dictated priority. I had listened to Arivas and Allaes and decided that Allaes were for me. Was going to wait a while but then a dealer offered me such a good deal on an ex-dem pair that I couldn't say "no". So Allaes it is for now, but nothing further till the TV's sorted, promise!

Neil
Posted on: 29 April 2005 by Stuart M
Go for a projector & screen first if you can, thats's the only way you really get the cinema effect.

If your aiming for a DVD5 then I wouldn't skimp on this. I'd start at the screen play 5700 level as a minimum. ie make sure it's true 16:9 and has processing for film/TV viewing rather than for PC/Presentations.