LCD screen advice, please.

Posted by: Tarquin Maynard - Portly on 14 December 2003

Muchachos

Against my better judgment, I am going to buy The Nagger a Christmas present; an LCD screen for her PC ( at which I sit. )

Any suggestions / recommendations? Nothing too flash, please.

Regartds

Mike

On the Yellow Brick Road and happy
Posted on: 14 December 2003 by David Dever
As long as you choose the screen size (diagonal viewing area) relative to the native screen resolution in pixels (e.g., 15"/1024 x 768, 17"/1280x1024), you'll not go wrong.

Setting the video resolution to 1024x768 when using a 17" LCD (1280x1024 native res.) looks worse IMHO than a good 19" CRT.

Samsung- or Hitachi-manufactured screens are the way to go, really.
Posted on: 14 December 2003 by Geoff P
What David says is true. My laptop has the problem that it's screen size is 15" but it's best resolution is 1600 x 1200. As a result it's a bloody good eyetest.
Trouble is at lower resolutions the lettering is not so sharply defined.

GEOFF
Posted on: 15 December 2003 by Jay
Mike

If you play games. I don't obviously (cough... cough...), but if you do make sure it has a low "response rate". Under 20ms total (that's up and down) should be well good enough. Best to have a decent graphics card too, one with a DVI out. Obviously you'd need a DVI capable monitor in that case.

You thought this would be easy, didn't you Smile

Jay

PS The Viewsonics I've seen look pretty good too.
Posted on: 15 December 2003 by Tarquin Maynard - Portly
Thanks guys.

Looks like I er, she gets a Samsung....

Posted on: 15 December 2003 by Rasher
I have a Sony 15" SDM-M51 which is slightly widescreen and I couldn't use anything else now. I bought mine when it first came out (£850), but they are only about £250 now (DABS.co.uk). I have two identical screens. The quality is second to none. Worth the extra £50.
Current model is SDM-S53

[This message was edited by Rasher on MONDAY 15 December 2003 at 09:56.]
Posted on: 15 December 2003 by HTK
Speaking from a purely biased point of view, based on 15 years with CRTs and (more recently) LCDs it breaks down one way for me. There's Iiyama, then thers's everything else. Not very scientific buy my eyes don't deceive me. Good aftersales service too.

Take with the usual pinch of salt.

Harry
Posted on: 16 December 2003 by Top Cat
Slightly OT question: how come I can buy (and have bought) a laptop with a 15" 1600x1200 screen, but nobody sells a stand-alone version? I really love the high resolution and compact size, and figure that I'd change my 19" CRT monitor for a stand-alone if I could find one for sensible pennies...

John

TC '..'
"Sun went down in honey. Moon came up in wine. Stars were spinnin' dizzy, Lord, the band kept us so busy we forgot about the time."
Posted on: 29 December 2003 by Tarquin Maynard - Portly
Thanks to all for the comments; "she" ended up with a Samsung; no picture at first but tweaking the refresh rate from 90hz down to 75 or so did the trick.

Regards

Mike