Grammys

Posted by: Andrew Randle on 22 February 2001

Good to see Steely Dan getting the top Grammy (among 3 others) for Album of the Year.

Rather ironic that Eminem got berated for many things including lyrics about incest and Steely Dan got an pop song award for "Cousin Dupree".

Congratulations also go to U2, Joni Mitchell, BB King & Dr. John, Rage Against the Machine, Foo Fighters and... Eminem.

Andrew

Andrew Randle
2B || !2B;
4 ^ = ?;

[This message was edited by Andrew Randle on THURSDAY 22 February 2001 at 12:45.]

Posted on: 22 February 2001 by Andrew Randle
A rather amusing link. Steely Dan's acceptance/rejection letter for the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame: The Dan telling the Board of Directors where to go

Andrew

Andrew Randle
2B || !2B;
4 ^ = ?;

Posted on: 22 February 2001 by Mike Hanson
Last night's awards proved, yet again, that the world is full of idiots. Joni Mitchell won an award for Best Traditional Folk Album, when "Both Sides Now" is most definitely a Jazz album. What a bunch of pigeonholers!!!

Oh well... What more can you expect from someone who gives three Grammys to U2?!? Yikes!

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 22 February 2001 by fred simon
quote:
Last night's awards proved, yet again, that the world is full of idiots. Joni Mitchell won an award for Best Traditional Folk Album, when "Both Sides Now" is most definitely a Jazz album.

Joni Mitchell's album Both Sides Now won a Grammy for "Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album."

Besides, I don't consider Both Sides Now to be a jazz album; it really is a "traditional pop" album, harkening back to the days before rock and roll, when "pop" meant the likes of Ella Fitzgerald or Frank Sinatra, backed by an orchestra or big band arranged by folks like Nelson Riddle. In fact, once upon a time, jazz was pop music.

Joni's record, with orchestral and big band arrangements by Vince Mendoza (who also won a Grammy for "Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying A Vocalist"), features mostly standards that indeed have been covered in thousands of jazz versions. However, hers are not, in spite of a few jazz-informed solos incorporated into the arrangements, which had been standard practice in pre-rock "pop" arrangements.

Posted on: 22 February 2001 by Todd A
Fortunately, I missed almost all of the broadcast, but I was fortunate enough to catch the performance by Marc Andre Hamelin. Great stuff. I do believe he played one of Godowsky's Chopin studies.
Posted on: 22 February 2001 by Mike Hanson
Joni Mitchell's album Both Sides Now won a Grammy for "Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album."

That'll teach me for repeating hearsay. I didn't watch the awards myself (basically a waste of time), so I was basing my judgement on information gleaned from the local CBC morning show.

Regardless, her album is still not "pop" by today's standards. It definitely fits into the jazz category. The arrangement of Joni's version of "Your My Thrill" is remarkably similar to a version done by Billie Holiday (right down the the meandering flute insertions). I've never considered Billie Holiday to be anything but jazz.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Posted on: 22 February 2001 by fred simon
quote:
Regardless, her album is still not "pop" by today's standards. It definitely fits into the jazz category. The arrangement of Joni's version of "Your My Thrill" is remarkably similar to a version done by Billie Holiday (right down the the meandering flute insertions). I've never considered Billie Holiday to be anything but jazz.

No, not by today's standards, which is why Both Sides Now was in the "Traditional Pop " category.

Like I said before, in the era of these songs, jazz (including Billie Holiday) was pop, and all pop music of that time was informed by jazz.