HiFi News Review of DVD5

Posted by: HiDefBob on 16 April 2005

Below are the links to pages 1 & 2 of a very positive review from HiFi News of the DVD5.

Quoting from the review, "the DVD5 makes for quite the best DVD transport that we have heard" and "The reborn DVD5 offers crisp, articulate and punchy-sounding music, detailed and contrast-rich pictures with an atmospheric 5.1 channel sound".

NOTE - This is a link to the HiFi Centre web site where this review is posted.

http://www.hificentre.com/images/naim/naim%20dvd5%20review%20hfn%20april%202005%20page%201.pdf

http://www.hificentre.com/images/naim/naim%20dvd5%20review%20hfn%20april%202005%20page%202.pdf
Posted on: 17 April 2005 by Adam Meredith
Hope you have permission to reproduce this article.

Please post confirmation or otherwise.
Posted on: 17 April 2005 by HiDefBob
quote:
Originally posted by Adam Meredith:
Hope you have permission to reproduce this article.

Please post confirmation or otherwise.

I posted a link to the HiFi Centre (Vancouver Naim dealer) web site where this review is posted and therefore accessible to everyone. I have to assume that this dealer has permission to post the review.

By the way, I still have a down payment on a DVD5 with multi-channel board. I hope to make full payment in the summer and take possession. Another priority has delayed further payment.
Posted on: 17 April 2005 by David Young
Adam,

Please confirm the statement in the review that the DVD5 with multichannel option card installed will not output Dolby Digital or DTS. If it is true, what a disappointment! If it is not true, how it compare to output from AV2!

Thanks
David
Posted on: 18 April 2005 by Mr Underhill
David,

With the DVD-A cards two din outputs are added. These output the multi-channel.

The 2 spdifs still output a digital signal, dependant on the source.

I have DVD-A, via the multi input on an AV2, and use the DVD5 as a transport into a DAC plus the other spdif into my AV2 for movies.

The DVD5 does not have onboard decoding. You cannot plug the DVD5 direct/via passthrough into a series of power-amps.

M
Posted on: 18 April 2005 by HiDefBob
quote:
Originally posted by David Young:
Adam,

Please confirm the statement in the review that the DVD5 with multichannel option card installed will not output Dolby Digital or DTS. If it is true, what a disappointment! If it is not true, how it compare to output from AV2!

Thanks
David

DD5.1 and DTS 5.1 are output through the Optical and Digital outputs only.

When I had a DVD5 on loan I ran a Harmonic Technology Optical TOS interconnect from the DVD5 optical output into one of my optical inputs on my Denon 4802 receiver (which feeds my Classé 5 channel amp). I got awesome DD5.1 and DTS5.1 sound depending on the DVD. All 5 channels were operating appropriately. And by the way, the low end was particularly spectacular.

As far as I know that is the way all DVD players work ... the digital surround sound from DVD's is fed through the digital and digital optical outputs.

As far as the DVD5 not doing total processing of the DD5.1 and DTS 5.1 sound, that is the way you want it, especially if you own a quality surround sound processer. Let the processor do what it is designed to do - process digital multi-channel sound!

The multichannel output is ANALOGUE ONLY and is only for playing DVD-A multichannel disks. If you have no plans to play DVD-A disks on the DVD5 then don't buy the multi-channel board - you don't need it.